Calculate moment of inertia about arbitrary axis from Ixx, Iyy, Izz

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Mohsen Diraneyya
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am analyzing human motion. for each body segment, I have measured values for Ixx, Iyy, and Izz in local coordinate system. I want to transfer all body properties from one coordinate system to another using a transformation matrix.

My question is that
, is there a way to calculate mass moment or inertia about any known axis, given the mass moment of inertia about the three primary axes? Ixx, Iyy ans Izz

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor. Given the principal directions and their corresponding moments uniquely defines this tensor.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mohsen Diraneyya
Orodruin said:
Yes, the moment of inertia is a symmetric rank two tensor. Given the principal directions and their corresponding moments uniquely defines this tensor.
Does that mean I can simply use rotational transformation matrix as any other vector to get new moments of inertia ?
 
Mohsen Diraneyya said:
Does that mean I can simply use rotational transformation matrix as any other vector to get new moments of inertia ?
No, it is a rank 2 tensor, not a vector. You marked this thread "A" so I assumed you were familiar with tensors. Written in matrix form, the components of a rank 2 tensor transform according to
$$
I' = A I A^T,
$$
where ##I## contains the components of the moment of inertia tensor in old system, ##I'## its components in the new system, and ##A## is the rotation matrix connecting the systems.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mohsen Diraneyya