Calculate motor/gear ratio on single axis

In summary: Yes, that is correct.In summary, Nidum is motorizing a dobsonian telescope and is having difficulty understanding the required force to rotate the telescope base. He has found that it requires approximately 2 lbs 15 ounces of force to rotate the base 9 inches from it's axis. He plans on using a 3D printer to create the gears and Onstep for the actual tracking and GoTo part of the programming.
Skygazer
Firstly, let me explain that I am mostly inept at mathematics. Piecing together the required information is becoming a real challenge because of that.

I am motorizing a dobsonian telescope. I have read many accounts of success and the steps involved. The places where detail is commonly left out are: defining worm gear ratio/size and stepper motor oz*in.

I understand the basic problem here, I need to find out force required to rotate the base of the telescope at different distances from it's axis. With the current amount of friction(which will change after a small redesign), I have measured that it requires approximately 2 lbs 15 ounces of force to rotate the base 9 inches from it's axis.

What I really need help with initially is how to extrapolate that data when moving closer to the axis. After that I can begin to calculate gear ratio, stepper motor strength and build my circuits. Some equation where I can input force required and distance from axis.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a force of 3 lb acting at a radius of 9 inches . This means you have a torque of 3 lb x 9 inches or 27 lb - inches .

3 lb at 9 inches = 9 lb at 3 inches = 27 lb at 1 inch etc . The product of force and radius is always 27 .

Generally though for most gear and motor calculations only the actual torque is needed .

Post a picture or drawing of your telescope mount if you can .

Last edited:
Thank you very much Nidum!
Here is the link to a page with a 360 degree view:
http://goo.gl/KOD0Vj
And a link to a page that has images and instructions to the same exact thing I'm attemtping:
http://goo.gl/YRX4Uk
tbehind.png
tleft.png

Thanks for that .

Looks like an interesting project .

Any particular design problems you want to discuss ?

Last edited:
It's an exciting one, that's for sure. I bought a 3D printer and plan on printing my short-term/prototype gears out of nylon. I plan on using Onstep for the actual tracking and GoTo part of the programming. http://goo.gl/eDk5K4

Most of the hard parts are completed already (meaning the software and testing by others). I've fitted the bottom axis with a lazy susan bearing like in the second link I posted. That brought friction down to 5 ounces instead of 3 lbs! Those friction pads work! So if I understand you correctly, that should equal 4.5 lb -inches? Or 72 oz*in?

1. How do I calculate the gear ratio for a single axis motor?

To calculate the gear ratio for a single axis motor, you will need to know the number of teeth on the motor's gear and the number of teeth on the driven gear. The gear ratio is then calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the motor gear by the number of teeth on the driven gear.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the gear ratio for a single axis motor?

Calculating the gear ratio for a single axis motor is important because it helps determine the speed, torque, and direction of the motor's output. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing motor-driven systems.

3. Can the gear ratio be changed for a single axis motor?

Yes, the gear ratio for a single axis motor can be changed by using different gears with varying numbers of teeth. However, it is important to note that changing the gear ratio may also affect the motor's performance, so it should be done carefully and with consideration.

4. How does the gear ratio affect the motor's performance?

The gear ratio directly affects the motor's output speed and torque. A higher gear ratio will result in lower speed but higher torque, while a lower gear ratio will result in higher speed but lower torque. Choosing the right gear ratio is crucial in achieving the desired performance for a motor-driven system.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the gear ratio for a single axis motor?

There are some limitations to calculating the gear ratio for a single axis motor, such as the physical limitations of the gears and the motor's power and speed capabilities. It is important to consider these limitations when selecting a gear ratio to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage to the motor.