Calculate Nip Roller Torque for T1=10 lbs and T2=20 lbs

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tomizzo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Roller Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
tomizzo
Messages
113
Reaction score
2
I'm wondering if someone could help me. I'm curious what the torque in each driven roller would be in the following picture.

ReGYoVm.png


Say for example I want the input tension(T1) to be 10 lbs and the output tension(T2) to be 20 pounds. Assume the radius for each driven nip is the same. Also assume there is a brake upstream somewhere. I am having difficulties in figuring out what the torque would be for each of the nips. I don't care about the speed of each nip but am only curious about the torque. I just don't understand how each nip isolates input and output tension. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The torque on the roller is equal to the difference in tension on either side of a roller.
The tension force in the material is parallel to and equivalent to surface force on the roller, which can be interpreted as a torque of roller radius pounds.
If the output tension is zero,
then S2 = T2
and T2 = T1 + S1 etc
Make sure you get the signs correct.