Calculate number of quantum states of a particle

In summary: No, I take the absolute value of the given velocity values. That is, if the velocity is -107 m/s, I take the negative value of -107 and add it to the positive value of 107 to get a value of 32.7. And similarly, if the velocity is 107 m/s, I take the positive value of 107 and add it to the negative value of -107 to get a value of 32.7.Right.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A particle is moving in one dimension, estimate the number of quantum states available to that particle if it is an electron confined in a region 10-9m long with speed less than 107 m/s (less than meaning velocity is between 107 and -107 m/s)

Homework Equations

[x][px]/h

x being the total accessible area in phase space
px being the particle's momentum
h being Plank's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

This seemed pretty straight forward. I plugged in the values the question gives x = 10-9
I broke down px into mvx and plugged in the value of those given in the problem. I plugged in 107 for vx, even though it's "less than" that value. I just made up for that by making my answer "number of quantum states ≤ 13.7", which is my answer.
Now the answer in the solution manual (no solution provided) gives an answer of 27. I'm thinking something is wrong with the velocity part.
And are those brackets supposed to mean "expectation value"?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you account for the fact the electron can move in both directions?

vela said:
Did you account for the fact the electron can move in both directions?

The question says the particle is moving in one dimension. I assumed that meant it could only move, for example, to the right. I don't know why I thought that. But how would I account for the ability of the particle to move left or right? Would I simply multiply the formula by 2 to account for both directions? Similarly, would I multiply by 4 if the particle was moving in 2 dimensions?

It just means it can move along a line, as opposed to, say, in a plane. Also note that the given limits of the velocity are both positive and negative.

Likes 1 person
Does that mean I take each case individually; the positive and negative values of the velocity, and then add them together? That sounds right.

1. How do you calculate the number of quantum states of a particle?

The number of quantum states of a particle can be calculated by using the formula N = 2^n, where n is the number of quantum numbers used to describe the state of the particle. This formula is based on the principle of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. What are quantum states?

Quantum states are the different possible states that a particle can exist in. These states are described by quantum numbers, which determine the properties of the particle such as position, energy, and spin.

3. How does the number of quantum states of a particle affect its behavior?

The number of quantum states of a particle directly affects its behavior. The more states a particle can exist in, the more complex its behavior can be. This is because each quantum state corresponds to a unique set of properties and interactions with other particles.

4. Can the number of quantum states of a particle be infinite?

No, the number of quantum states of a particle cannot be infinite. This is because the number of quantum numbers used to describe a particle is finite, and therefore, the number of possible combinations and states is also finite.

5. How does the concept of quantum states relate to quantum mechanics?

The concept of quantum states is fundamental to the study of quantum mechanics. In this branch of physics, particles are described by quantum states and their interactions are governed by the principles of superposition and uncertainty. Understanding and calculating the number of quantum states is crucial in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles at the quantum level.