1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the angle between a refracted wavefront

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    A wave is traveling from medium A to medium B. The ratio: r.i B / r.i A = 1.4. The angle between an incident wavefront and the normal to the boundary is 50 degrees. Calculate the angle between a refracted wavefront and the normal to the boundary:

This is what I did:

nAsin i = nB sin r
    sin 50 = 1.4 sin r
    r = 33.2 degrees

Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Peter G.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Refraction

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are defined as the angles the direction of propagation encloses with the normal of the surface.
    The problem speaks about the angle between the wavefront and the normal of the boundary. The wavefront is a plane, perpendicular to the direction of propagation. How is related this angle to the angle of incidence?

ehild

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3

Oh, the relation would be 90 - the angle between the normal and the wavefront?

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think so.

ehild

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5

So this would mean that my angle of refraction between the wavefront and the normal would therefore be:

nAsin i = nB sin r
    sin 40 = 1.4 sin r
    90-27.33
    =62.67 degrees?

7. Aug 5, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The angle between the wavefront and the normal is 62.67 degrees in the refracted wave, but it is not the angle of refraction. The angle of refraction is 27.33°.

ehild

8. Aug 5, 2011 #7

Ok thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook