Calculate the angle of refraction for a substance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 22K views
cybernerd
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the angle of refraction for a substance that has a critical angle of 50.5 degrees when that substance is in the air.

Homework Equations



Apparently the equation I need is:

ni *• sine() = nr • sine ()

My problem is, I have no idea how to use this formula or if it's even the right one - my teacher told me to write it down with no explanation.
Please help me, I just need to know what the equation actually tells me - where I am supposed to input data?


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I got the correct equation now...it makes a bit more sense with that.

No, that's the question exactly as it was written. My teacher told me to use the index of refraction for air (so, 1.00), the angle of incidence/critical angle (50.5). SInce the refracted angle in 90 degrees from the normal, I was told to use 90.

So if I manipulate the equation (where @ = unknown angle) -

ni (sin@i) = nr (sin@r)
into
sin@i = nr (sin@r) / ni

so

sin50.5 = (1.00)(sin90) / ni
equals
sin50.5 = 1/ ni
or
ni = 1-sin50.5

which gives me an answer of 1.295967, or 1.3

Am I doing this right? Or I am completely on the wrong track?
 
Typo correction on the last line of the equation:

ni = 1-sin50.5

SHOULD READ

ni = 1 / sin 50.5
 
That looks right (asuming the arithmatic is correct)
Your original equation didn't have any angles in it - that's what I meant by it being wrong.