Calculate Refraction Angle of Light Falling to Aquarium Water

In summary, the homework statement states that if light ray is falling to the surface of aquarium water from the bottom in the angle of 60 degrees, n for water = 1,33. The Attempt at a Solution calculates sinφ2=1.15178 and this is where the teacher did not like it because the student could not calculate the refraction angle of light.
geolohs

Homework Statement

I need to calculate refraction angle of light, if light ray is falling to the surface of aquarium water from the bottom in the angle of 60 degrees, n for water = 1,33

Homework Equations

sinφ2=(n1×sinφ1) /n2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i get sinφ2=1,33*0,866( meant as sin60) / 1 = 1,15178

this is where i ended and teacher didn`t liked it... Is there a mistake in calculations? Whats the final refraction angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if you have found sin φ2=1.15178 why have you not "calculate refraction angle of light," ?

What does this tell you?

Merlin3189 said:
So, if you have found sin φ2=1.15178 why have you not "calculate refraction angle of light," ?

What does this tell you?

sin for 1,1517 is something like 99 degrees - is this correct answer? I thought that there are some problems with calculations, because in this test it wasn`t compulsory to calculate exact values in degrees

geolohs said:
sin for 1,1517 is something like 99 degrees - is this correct answer? I thought that there are some problems with calculations, because in this test it wasn`t compulsory to calculate exact values in degrees
No it isn't 99o
Since they asked for the angle, I think you should give an angle, not just a sine.
BUT there is a problem here. You can't calculate the angle from your result!
Your calculation is ok, but it gives you a funny answer. WHY?

Edit: BTW. Try drawing a diagram and put in your ray at 99 degrees (which is wrong, but may help you see why.)

99 degrees - this is too wide... So the correct answer is - there will be no refraction?

Or it will reflect backward and the answer is 9 degrees? This is confusing

geolohs said:
sin for 1,1517 is something like 99 degrees - is this correct answer?
What do you mean? you have to get the inverse sine of 1.1517 - is there any angle with sine greater than 1?
If refraction angle does not exist then can the light ray enter into air?
Light partly refracts and partly reflects at an interface between two media. What do you know about the angle of reflection?

geolohs said:
99 degrees - this is too wide... So the correct answer is - there will be no refraction?

Or it will reflect backward and the answer is 9 degrees? This is confusing
You are getting there!
There is no sine greater than 1, so the equations beloved of PF do not just give you the answer. You have to understand what happens.

Have you heard of "Total Internal Reflection" or "Critical Angle"?

Likes geolohs
Merlin3189 said:
Have you heard of "Total Internal Reflection" or "Critical Angle"?
As I`m from non-english speaking country I may be incorrect in terms but total internal reflection is when (n1 > n2) - than it`s possible for the ray to reflect& refract, unless... unless sinφ1>n2/n1

in this case sin60°>1/1,33 leads us too 0,866>0,751

So the answer ir - there will be no refraction?

Yes, there will be no refraction. The light will be reflected and angle of incidence = angle of reflection, no sines!

The Critical Angle is the angle of incidence which would give 90o angle of refraction,
so sin( critical angle) = sin(90o) * nless dense/nmore dense = 1 * 1/1.33 = 0.7519
so critical angle = arcsin(0.7519) =48.8o

If the angle of incidence from the more dense medium to the less dense is greater than 48.8o then the light is totally internally reflected.

In your case, angle of incidence was 60o, so ray is reflected.

You should also remember that no sine or cosine can be greater than 1 (nor less than -1)

Incidentally, sin(99o) = 0.9877 = sin(81o) After sine gets to 1, it starts coming down again.

Likes geolohs
Thanks!

Related to Calculate Refraction Angle of Light Falling to Aquarium Water

1. What is refraction and how does it occur?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air and water. This occurs due to the change in speed and direction of light as it enters a medium with a different density.

2. How is the refraction angle of light in an aquarium calculated?

The refraction angle of light in an aquarium can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

3. What factors can affect the refraction angle in an aquarium?

The refraction angle in an aquarium can be affected by the angle of incidence, the density of the water, and the type of material the aquarium is made of. The shape and curvature of the aquarium can also play a role in the refraction angle.

4. How does the refraction angle impact the appearance of objects in an aquarium?

The refraction angle can cause objects to appear distorted or magnified when viewed from outside the aquarium. This is due to the bending of light as it passes through the water and the curved surface of the aquarium.

5. Can the refraction angle in an aquarium be controlled?

The refraction angle in an aquarium can be controlled by adjusting the angle of incidence of light, the density of the water, and the shape of the aquarium. Using different materials for the aquarium can also affect the refraction angle.