1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the area of water suspended at 500m to produce 23TWh

1. Nov 16, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
    Calculate the area of water, suspended at 500m, needed to produce 23TWh of energy
    I've done a calculation but the answer seems far too small
    If I needed to store the UK's supply of energy for three months i.e. 23TWh of energy
    in a reverse pump hydro storage at an elevation of 500m
    using
    P=mgh

I've got an answer of 395m x 395m if the water was 30m deep but this seems way too small.

HorseRidingTic

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

How did you get that? Your answer is about 1250 swimming pools which would last 625 people about a year or 2500 people 3 months (assuming about 5.5 MWh per person per year). There are like 64 million people in UK so you need lots more, like 160^2 times more.
    Edit I was looking at the 3 months maybe 85^2 times more for 23 TWh which is less than the 88 TWh I assumed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  4. Nov 16, 2016 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think that amount of stored energy is 23*10^12 J, or 23 TW-s, not 23 TW-h. You forgot the 3600 seconds in an hour, which will make the amount of water needed 3600 times larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted