Calculate the average speed from a bar graph

In summary, to calculate the average speed from a bar graph, one would need to find the percent difference between the bar graph and a line graph.
Jath
Well I need to calculate the average speed from a bar graph and I do believe it said percent difference, then find the percent difference from the bar graph to my line graph. All I have is pictures of the bar graph, so can someone please tell me how to find the average speed and the percent difference? If you can thanks a lot. Sorry for the crappy pictures too.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Jath/?action=view&current=Physics1.jpg
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Jath/?action=view&current=Physics2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to understand the two graphs. There are 8 bars in one and 6 in the other. Do they represent the same time intervals, such that each bar has equal weight.

Assuming one has N quantities vi, then how does one determine the average value?

Then with the average value, take each vi, subtract the average, which will give the difference between the particular value and the average. How would one then determine the percent difference?

http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math101/notes/applications/average.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_mean

Very sorry about that. The first picture on the left the numbers represent distance(cm) and the second picture represent the speed (cm/s). With the first picture too, the 2 strips that are the same length are the second and third from the left on the second picture. Right now this is velocity and it is testing with a spark generator(I think that's what it was). In lab we threaded this tape, a meter long, through the spark generator and tried to walk at a constant speed. Measured from 0-6(the dots created by the spark generator), 0-12, 0-18, 0-24, all the way up to 60 and then cut them at 6, 12, 18, 24, etc. Taped them onto this bar graph and now I got to find out the average speed and percent difference between this and the line graph I made. All I need is an equation there, I hope.

What is the definition of average speed?

Average speed is a measure of the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is a scalar quantity that represents the rate at which an object is moving.

Why is it important to calculate average speed?

Calculating average speed can provide valuable information about the overall motion of an object. It can help determine the efficiency of a system or the performance of an athlete. It can also be used to compare different objects or systems.

How do you calculate average speed from a bar graph?

To calculate average speed from a bar graph, you need to find the total distance traveled and the total time taken. Then, divide the total distance by the total time to get the average speed. The units of distance and time should be consistent.

Can you calculate average speed from a bar graph with unequal intervals?

Yes, it is possible to calculate average speed from a bar graph with unequal intervals. However, it is important to note that the result will only be an approximation and may not be as accurate as when the intervals are equal.

What are some limitations of calculating average speed from a bar graph?

One major limitation is that it does not take into account the varying speeds within the intervals. It also assumes a constant speed throughout the entire interval, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the data presented in the bar graph.