Calculate the speed of a point based on a graph

In summary, The average speed of the point during the movement time is 0.1m/s. The maximum speed of the point is between t=10s and t=16s, where the slope of the curve is steepest. The moment t0 in which the instantaneous speed is equal to the average speed averaged over the first t0 seconds can be calculated using the formula v=Δs/Δt, using s1=4m, s2=18m, t1=10s, and t2=16s.
Davidllerenav said:
Ok! So for the second question, I'll have to calculate the maximum speed (slope) at the interval from t=10 sto t=14s, where the distance goes from s=1.0m to s-1.4m.
For the third, I must say that the instantaneous speed at t=16 is equal to the average speed from t=0s to t=16s.
That's all, right?
Yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thanks for your help!

Davidllerenav said:
Thanks for your help!
You are welcome. You understood the method, yes?

haruspex said:
You are welcome. You understood the method, yes?
Yes. When I'm asked to find the maximum velocity on a graph of distance vs. time, I must look for the interval where the point travels more distance in the less time. When I'm asked to find the point where the instantaneous speed is equal to the average speed, I must find the point where its tangent line (slope/derivative) is equal to the line from the origin to that point, which is the average speed.

Davidllerenav said:
When I'm asked to find the point where the instantaneous speed is equal to the average speed, I must find the point where its tangent line (slope/derivative) is equal to the line from the origin to that point, which is the average speed.
Yes, but I meant more in terms of the principles behind that... that the tangent slope gives the instantaneous speed and the slope from the start point to current point gives current average speed.

haruspex said:
Yes, but I meant more in terms of the principles behind that... that the tangent slope gives the instantaneous speed and the slope from the start point to current point gives current average speed.
Yes. I understood that.