Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the chance books will be returned to library

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    Please help probability asap!!:)

I have tried to understand this problem a million times, and I can not. The answer I have, however it is not good unless I know how to get there and i do not!!!

A Librarion has estimated that 5% fo the books that people sign out are returned damaged in some way. While 1% of the bookd are never returned at all.

a) If 4 people each sign out one book and all are returned, what is the probabiliyy that exactly 2 of the books will be returned damaged??

b) if 10 people each sign out ne bool, what is the probability that at least 1 of the books will never be returned?

c) if 20 people each sign out one book, what is the probability that between 2 and 4 (inclusively) are returned damaged and exactly 2 are never returned at all>>??

the answers ar e

a) .0135
    b).096
    c).0042

HELP PLEASE!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Please help probability asap!!:)

a) Let D denote a damaged book being returned, and G a book being returned in a good state.
    1. What is the chance for DDGG, that is: the first two people will return damaged books and the other two don't?
    2. What are the other possibilities? (DGDG, DGGD, ... - you can write them out) What are the probabilities that correspond to them?
    3. What is the chance for 2 D's and 2 G's in any order? Do you see the way to "shortcut" the calculation?

b) First calculate the chance that they will all be returned (how do you do it? if you don't see the quick way, refer to a). What does this have to do with the actual question?

Let's do these ones first.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Okay I do not understand what the GOod probability is> Like for the first question a) DDGG< the damaged is .05*.05 but is the good then .94? Please help, and with a formula??

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If "good" and "bad" are the only two possible outcomes and the probability of "bad" is .05, then the probability of "good" is 1- 0.05= 0.95. I have no idea where you got "0.94".

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5

OH!!! haha I jsut re read it!!! I unsderstand!!! OKAY so DDGG is .05*.05*.95*.95 the answer is NOT a!?

7. Oct 30, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but "two out of four returned damaged" could be DGDG or GGDD or ... (there are 8 possible orders). What is the probability of each of those? What is the total probability?

8. Oct 30, 2008 #7

OKay!! That helped me so MUCH!! Thanks !! But here is what i did!! AND it still doesnt work out!!

So there are 8 ways of doing DDGG, each is .05*.05*.95*.95 correct? Therefore the Probability of each one is .0023. When Multiplying this by 8, the answer is NOT what it shud be!??! So what am I doing wrong???

AND is there an easier way of finding out there is 8 ways to do so then writing each one out? Is there an equation u can use for that!?

Thank you again!!!

9. Oct 30, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the probability of "DDGG" is .05*.05*.95*.95= .00226 and there are 4!/(2!)(2!)= 8 ways of rearranging 4 things, 2 of which are the same and the other 2 the same. Yes, the probability of "two damaged and two good" is 8(.05)(.05)(.95)(.95)= .018. What "shud" the answer be?

10. Oct 30, 2008 #9

the answer it has is .0135?? Thats why Im confused!! Cud this be wrong?!

11. Oct 31, 2008 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think HallsOfIvy has made a typo. (4!)/(2!)(2!) = 6 and not 8. You can write it out:
    DDGG
    DGDG
    DGGD
    GDDG
    GDGD
    GGDD
    and that's all of them.

Alternative to the reasoning given by HallsOfIvy already, you can say: if I have two good books and two damaged books and four slots to put them into, I can choose 4 slots for the first damaged book, and I have 3 left for the second damaged book. Then the good books automatically go into the remaining two slots. However, I have overcounted by 2 because I can interchange the first two which I placed. This also gives 4 * 3 / 2 = 6.

12. Oct 31, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oops! Thanks, CompuChip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?