Calculate the change in length of year due to change in Sun's mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the change in the length of a year due to the Sun's loss of mass. The equation for Kepler's third law is used to solve for the change in period T by finding the values for M1 and M2. The suggestion is made to combine Kepler's second and third laws to solve for the change in T and r. The math may be complicated but not impossible to solve.
NewSoul
EDIT: It seems that just after posting this, my professor decided this problem is too difficult for us to be responsible for. I can't delete this question, so don't feel obligated to answer it. But who knows? Maybe someone else out there has the same question.

Homework Statement

The Sun loses mass at a rate of 3.64E9 kg/s. During the 5,000-yr period of recorded history, by how much has the length of the year changed due to the loss of mass from the Sun? Suggestions: Assume the Earth's orbit is circular. No external torque acts on the Earth–Sun system, so the angular momentum of the Earth is constant.

M2 = current mass of sun = (Wolfram Alpha is source): 1.988E30 kilograms
r = average distance between sun and Earth (Wolfram Alpha is source): 1.496E11 meters
G = 6.67E-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
5000 yr = 1.577E11 s
ΔM = 3.64E9 kg/s

Homework Equations

Kepler's third law: T2 = (4π2r3)/GM

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve the equation, I plan on finding the value for T for today (T2) and the value of T for 5000 years ago (T1). I did some Googling and someone found the answer to be ΔT = 1.82E-2 s. I don't know if it is correct or not.

Okay, so here's how I started. M2 (current mass of sun) = 1.988E30 kg. I wanted to find M1 (previous mass of sun), so I did M1 = 1.988E30 kg + (3.64E9 kg/s)(1.577E11 s) = 1.988E30 kg.

So, according to my equation above, M1 and M2 are almost exactly the same and the difference is negligible. How do I go about this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about finding the change in period T with respect to the change in mass M from the Kepler relation? You know, derivatives and all that jazz.

You need to combine Kepler's 2nd and 3rd laws to get your answer.

The second law reflects the need to conserve angular momentum.
The 3rd law equates gravitational and centripetal forces.

These two equations would enable you to solve for the change in T and also r if desired.

The math is messy but not impossible ...

1. How much does the Sun's mass affect the length of a year?

The Sun's mass has a significant impact on the length of a year. As the Sun's mass increases, the gravitational pull on the planets also increases, causing them to orbit faster and thus decreasing the length of a year. On the other hand, a decrease in the Sun's mass would result in a longer year.

2. Is the change in the Sun's mass noticeable in our everyday lives?

No, the change in the Sun's mass is not noticeable in our everyday lives. The change in the length of a year due to a change in the Sun's mass is extremely small and can only be detected through precise scientific measurements.

3. How do scientists calculate the change in length of year due to change in Sun's mass?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion, to calculate the effect of the Sun's mass on the length of a year. This law states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the Sun.

4. Can the Sun's mass change over time?

Yes, the Sun's mass can change over time. It is estimated that the Sun loses about 4 million tons of mass every second due to nuclear fusion reactions. However, this change is too small to have a significant impact on the length of a year.

5. How does the change in the Sun's mass affect other planets in our solar system?

The change in the Sun's mass affects the orbits of all the planets in our solar system. A change in the Sun's mass would result in a change in the gravitational pull on the planets, causing them to orbit faster or slower and thus changing the length of their year. This effect is more significant for planets closer to the Sun, such as Mercury and Venus, compared to the outer planets like Jupiter and Saturn.