1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the chi-squared probability for the fit

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

an experiment is performed to test whether the displacement D produced on a piezoelectric drive behaved linearly with the potential voltage V applied across it. The following data are obtained:

V (volts) D (um)
    0.1 50
    0.2 101
    0.3 151
    0.4 198
    0.5 249
    0.6 298
    0.7 346
    0.8 393
    0.9 438
    1 181
    1.1 521

the uncertainty on the voltage setting can be considered negligible. While the displacement measurements are performed with a linear encoder with an uncertainty of +-5um

calculate the chi-squared probability for the fit

3. The attempt at a solution
    when I plotted the graph the equation Excel displayed was:
    y=474.82x+8.3818

I have thought about two possibilities:

when calculating chi-squared, the values of V(subscript theory) be taken by using the equation on the least-squared-fitted graph on Excel?

y=474.82x+8.3818

or does one assume that V is supposed to be proportional to D and that the graph is meant to go through the origin?

Should I use the above equation to work out what Dis supposed to be in theory when working out chi-squared? or should I assume it's supposed to go through the origin?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    by the way, I had trouble getting the values in the table to look presentable on the screen, but I'm sure you can guess what I meant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook