1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the density at which the available thrust is equal to the minimum drag

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    Calculate the density at which the available thrust of a jet propelled aeroplane is equal to the minimum drag for the full fuel load case. Use the simplest assumption for the variation of engine thrust with density.

Wing area, S = 29.5
    Weight, W = 88000
    CD,0 = 0.02
    k = 0.044
    Max thrust (at sea level) = 16000N
    CT = 1.7*10^-4

I use the formula Dmin = 2((CD,0*k)^0.5)*W = 5221N

The problem I have is that I can't work out the density without the velocity but there is no way to relate velocity to drag without density. Where do I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you care to revise your posting, supplying the units and explaining what each of the three co-efficients is, I'll take a look at your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?