Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the final velocity of an object accelerating towards a mass

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    I need to be able to calculate the final velocity of an object accelerating towards a mass from a distnce with an initial velocity. From my little knowledge of calculus, im only a junior in high school, i have figured out that this is probably a derivitive problem. But i have no knowledge of how to solve these kinds of equations. If im right would some one please walk me through it step-by-step. If i'm wrong, please correct me and show me how to do it step by step. This is not a homework problem but a problem i made up to challenge myself. The problem is i think im in way over my head. So any help would be amazing. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

Re: Gravity

No, I think all you need here is to apply conservation of energy,

[tex]\Delta KE = -\Delta PE[/tex],

where PE is the gravitational potential energy between the two objects.

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3

But since acceleration due to gravity increases as the distance between the two objects decreases, you cant use PE=massxgravityxheight since the acceleration is constantly changing for a given height. or does that not matter? I worked it out and i got that an object of mass one kilogram starting from rest at a distnce of 3.8x10^8 meters would be traveling at 1450 m/s at the point of impact, disregarding air resistance.

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

Right, you can't use [tex]PE = mgh[/tex]. Use Newton's Law of Gravitation.

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No you can't. you have to use

[tex]PE = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

Where r is the distance between the centers of m and M.

Just remember that [itex]\Delta PE[/itex] is the difference in PE between the start of the fall and the end of the fall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook