1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Flux through the Pipe

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Water flows with a speed v down a rectangular pipe of dimensions s and l as shown. What is the rate [itex]\Phi=volume\, per\, unit\, time [/itex]
    at which water accumulates in the bucket?

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\Phi=\int_S\mathbf{v}\cdot d\mathbf{a}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused as to how to compute this integral. I do not see how could use the divergence theorem to simplify it since I only have the dimensions of the 2-dim surface of the rectangular pipe.

I am not sure how to evaluate the surface integral based solely on its definition. Can someone help to get me started?

Do I just use the definition [itex]\Phi=\int_S\mathbf{v}\cdot d\mathbf{a}[/itex] for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. :smile:

4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, flux is integral v.dA. If the velocity is uniform that's just v*A. Isn't it? Why do you want to use the divergence theorem? This problem sure looks simple to me. Is this some kind of a trick?

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4
    I just don't know anymore :sad: I think I am getting stupider and stupider.

I don't know what he is looking for (Griffith's Intro to Electrodynamics problem 1.32 2nd ed.).

I don't want to just memorize formulas. I want to compute the integrals. But I get all effed up when I get a surface integral no matter how simple. If I have to use the definition, I get all flustered.

How do I compute the integral?

I get,

[itex]\phi=\int_S v \cdot da[/itex]
    [itex]=\int_S v*da\cos\theta[/itex]
    [itex]=\int_S v*da[/itex]
    [itex]=\int_s\int_l v*(dsdl)=v*s*l[/itex]

is that right?

The reason I want to do this right is that the next three parts of the problem have angles and $hit that I'll and non-uniform velocities that I will have to deal with.

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's right. It's v*A=v*s*l. cos(theta)=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?