Calculate the Flux through the Pipe

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Pipe
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the rate of water accumulation in a bucket based on the velocity of water flowing down a rectangular pipe. The suggested formula for this is \Phi=\int_S\mathbf{v}\cdot d\mathbf{a}, and the conversation concludes that the integral can be simplified to v*s*l if the velocity is uniform. The use of the divergence theorem is not necessary for this problem.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Water flows with a speed v down a rectangular pipe of dimensions s and l as shown. What is the rate [itex]\Phi=volume\, per\, unit\, time [/itex]
at which water accumulates in the bucket?

Photo2.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi=\int_S\mathbf{v}\cdot d\mathbf{a}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused as to how to compute this integral. I do not see how could use the divergence theorem to simplify it since I only have the dimensions of the 2-dim surface of the rectangular pipe.

I am not sure how to evaluate the surface integral based solely on its definition. Can someone help to get me started?

Do I just use the definition [itex]\Phi=\int_S\mathbf{v}\cdot d\mathbf{a}[/itex] for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions would be appreciated. :smile:

Sure, flux is integral v.dA. If the velocity is uniform that's just v*A. Isn't it? Why do you want to use the divergence theorem? This problem sure looks simple to me. Is this some kind of a trick?

Dick said:
Sure, flux is integral v.dA. If the velocity is uniform that's just v*A. Isn't it? Why do you want to use the divergence theorem? This problem sure looks simple to me. Is this some kind of a trick?

I just don't know anymore :sad: I think I am getting stupider and stupider.

I don't know what he is looking for (Griffith's Intro to Electrodynamics problem 1.32 2nd ed.).

I don't want to just memorize formulas. I want to compute the integrals. But I get all effed up when I get a surface integral no matter how simple. If I have to use the definition, I get all flustered.

How do I compute the integral?

I get,

[itex]\phi=\int_S v \cdot da[/itex]
[itex]=\int_S v*da\cos\theta[/itex]
[itex]=\int_S v*da[/itex]
[itex]=\int_s\int_l v*(dsdl)=v*s*l[/itex]

is that right?

The reason I want to do this right is that the next three parts of the problem have angles and $hit that I'll and non-uniform velocities that I will have to deal with.

Yes, that's right. It's v*A=v*s*l. cos(theta)=1.

1. What is flux and why is it important to calculate it through a pipe?

Flux is the rate of flow of a physical property, such as energy or mass, through a given surface. It is important to calculate the flux through a pipe because it helps determine the efficiency and performance of the pipe, and can also be used to predict potential issues or blockages.

2. How is the flux through a pipe calculated?

The flux through a pipe is calculated by multiplying the velocity of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This gives the volume flow rate, which can then be converted to other units of flux if necessary.

3. What factors can affect the flux through a pipe?

The flux through a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and any obstructions or blockages in the pipe.

4. Is there a maximum or minimum flux through a pipe?

There is no set maximum or minimum flux through a pipe, as it can vary depending on the specific conditions and properties of the fluid and pipe. However, a very low flux may indicate a blockage or issue with the pipe, while a very high flux may indicate excessive pressure or flow.

5. How can the flux through a pipe be used in real-world applications?

The calculation of flux through a pipe is commonly used in industries such as plumbing, hydraulics, and fluid dynamics. It is also important in environmental and infrastructure engineering, as it can help determine the capacity and potential issues of pipes in systems such as water supply and drainage.