Calculate the focal length of a planoconvex lens?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
givemeknowledge
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the focal length of a planoconvex lens that produces a real image 2.5 times as big as the object if the object is 2.5 cm from the lens?

Homework Equations



The only one I can think of is 1/f = 1/v + 1/u

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
My 'attempt' is 1/f = 1/62.5 + 1/25 = 0.056 but this just seems totally wrong.

Had a whirl at it, but cannot produce an answer, any help would be really appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
givemeknowledge said:
The only one I can think of is 1/f = 1/v + 1/u

I'm not familiar with u and v in these equations. I think my class labels them differently. What do they represent here?