1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the force that each wire exerts on each other

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    need help asap...by 2:30 :(

if 2 parallel conductors with the same length of .05m have their currents going in opposite directions, one conductor carries a current of 10A. C=D/3, D=24cm, I is adjusted so the magnetic field @ C=0.

a. find the value of the current I
    b. value of magnetic field @ point A (find magnitude & direction)
    c. calculate the force that each wire exerts on each other

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is the formula for the magnetic field strength as a function of current and geometry.

I take it that C = D/3 is measured from the wire with the 10 A current? Then the distance from C to the other wire is 2D/3.

Does this look familiar - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html

Umm - where is A? One can use superposition of fields.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    A is at the midpoint of the first wire...
    A
    I <---------------------

--------------------->10A
    C

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    a is at the midpoint of the first wire, C is at the midpoint of the second wire...what is the equation?

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

OK - but write the equation for the magnetic field due to a current in a wire, and determine the field due to 10A at D/3. The using that field and 2D/3, solve for the current in the other wire.

Then knowing the currents, solve for the resultant field at A.

See this - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/wirfor.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?