1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Fourier series of the function

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    Calculate the Fourier series of the function $f$ defined on the interval [itex][\pi, -\pi][/itex] by
    $$
    f(\theta) =
    \begin{cases} 1 & \text{if} \ 0\leq\theta\leq\pi\\
    -1 & \text{if} \ -\pi < \theta < 0
    \end{cases}.
    $$
    [itex]f[/itex] is periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex] and odd since [itex]f[/itex] is symmetric about the origin.
    So [itex]f(-\theta) = -f(\theta)[/itex].
    Let [itex]f(\theta) = \sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}a_ne^{in\theta}[/itex].
    Then [itex]f(-\theta) = \sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}a_ne^{-in\theta} = \cdots + a_{-2}e^{2i\theta} + a_{-1}e^{i\theta} + a_0 + a_{1}e^{-i\theta} + a_{2}e^{-2i\theta}+\cdots[/itex]
    [itex]-f(\theta) = \sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}a_ne^{-in\theta} = \cdots - a_{-2}e^{-2i\theta} - a_{-1}e^{-i\theta} - a_0 - a_{1}e^{i\theta} - a_{2}e^{2i\theta}-\cdots[/itex]

[itex]a_0 = -a_0 = 0[/itex]

I have solved many Fourier coefficients but I can't think today.

What do I need to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why don't you just find the Fourier coefficients by using the usual formula?? That is

[tex]a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x)e^{-inx}dx[/tex]

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or use the half-range sine expansion since it is an odd function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook