Photon frequency when electron falls from n = 10 to n = 5 in hydrogen

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinklemon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency Hertz
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pinklemon
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Calculate the frequency, in hertz, of the photon that is emitted when a electron falls from level n = 10 to level n = 5 in the H atom.

Enter a numeric answer only, no units.


I tried asking in other places but ppl are so ambiguous about it.
:( please help me.

I used rydberg formula:
1/λ = RH ∙ (1/n₁² - 1/n₂²)
(RH rydberg constant for hydrogen, n₁ lower level, n₂ higher level)

Hence:
λ = 1/ [ 1.09678×10⁷m⁻¹ ∙ (1/5² - 1/10²) ] = 3.0392×10⁻⁶m

and then I converted to Hz = 9.89e14 but i still GOT IT wrong :( Please help me someone!
 
Physics news on Phys.org