Calculate the net force on the object

In summary: Instead, you need to consider the ##x##-component and the ##y##-component as two vectors and find their resultant using vector addition. In this case, the resultant is 14.1 N with a direction of 130 degrees. Therefore, the net force on the object is 14.1 N in the direction of 130 degrees.
subopolois

Homework Statement

Two forces are acting on an object and make a 130 degree angle between the two. One force is horizontal to the x-axis and is 13N. The other is 9 N.

Homework Equations

Not really equations, but I broke the one force into its x and y components. Since the 13 Newton force is just along the x-axis with no y, hats the only force in that direction. So I guess trig functions are my equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sin40= -x/9
X= -5.79
Cos40= y/9
Y= 6.89

Adding the components gives the net force for that portion:
1.1 N

And since there is no y component in the other direction, the force is just 13 N.

Here's where I'm stuck, the stronger force has no y component and is going directly right (free body diagram). The other component is headed up and left in the somewhat opposite direction, but is weaker.
Here's my thinking, to get the net force I have to add them together, which gives 14.1 N. But if the stronger force is to the right, would I subtract the 1.1 N? To get 11.9 N?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
subopolois said:

Homework Statement

Two forces are acting on an object and make a 130 degree angle between the two. One force is horizontal to the x-axis and is 13N. The other is 9 N.

Homework Equations

Not really equations, but I broke the one force into its x and y components. Since the 13 Newton force is just along the x-axis with no y, hats the only force in that direction. So I guess trig functions are my equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sin40= -x/9
X= -5.79[/B] ##\ \ \ \ \ ## This tells you the x component of the 9 N force .
Cos40= y/9
Y= 6.89 ##\ \ \ \ \ ## This tells you the y component of the 9 N force .

Adding the components gives the net force for that portion:
1.1 N

And since there is no y component in the other direction, the force is just 13 N.

Here's where I'm stuck, the stronger force has no y component and is going directly right (free body diagram). The other component is headed up and left in the somewhat opposite direction, but is weaker.
Here's my thinking, to get the net force I have to add them together, which gives 14.1 N. But if the stronger force is to the right, would I subtract the 1.1 N? To get 11.9 N?
Adding the ##x##-component and ##y##-component as numbers usually makes no sense.

What is the definition of net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the direction and magnitude of all individual forces.

How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must add together all of the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition.

What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces are the separate forces acting on an object, while net force is the sum of all of these forces. Net force takes into account the overall effect of all forces on the object.

What is the unit for net force?

The unit for net force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

How does net force affect an object's motion?

The net force acting on an object determines its acceleration, which in turn affects its motion. If the net force is zero, the object will have constant velocity (either at rest or moving at a constant speed). If the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.