1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculate the power temperature

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    Edit: Topic title should read power and temperature

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Humans convert most of a 2000 kcal typical daily diet into heat. Calculate the power. What is the increase of temperature in a room with a volume of 15000 m^3 filled with 250 people over a 60 minute period?

Note: Power is defined as energy/time.
    1kcal = 4.186kJ.
    density of air = 1.29kg/m^3
    molar mass of air = 29g
    Treat air as a diatomic gas

2. Relevant equations

C = change in internal energy/ number of moles * change in temperature = f/2*R

3. The attempt at a solution

60 * 60 = 3600

2000 * 4.186 = 8372kJ/3600s = 2.3kJ/s = 2.3W

Specific Heat Capacity = 5/2 * R = 5/2 * 8.31 = 20.8 kJ/moleK

I'm really struggling with where to take it from there. I'd guess you would either use change in internal energy/ number of moles * change in temperature or use average kinetic energy = 5/2kT = 1/2mv^2rms but I'm not sure how to calculate the relevant data for either plus that doesn't use all the information given.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    I have not played with attempting the find the specific heat of air before so I'll let someone else help you there. I can tell you that the power involved is not 2.3 W because there are not 3600 seconds in a day. Note that the problem said "daily." And a watt is not equal to kJ/s but J/s. Due to those two errors, your power is small by an order of magnitude.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook