1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Question Calculating change in temperature

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    50 moles of an ideal gas for which Cp= 5/2R and Cv=3/2R initially has a pressure of 1x10^5 Pa, and a volume of 1.0m^3. It undergoes a process where the pressure and volume both double while they stay proporitional to each other: P=constV. What is the change in temperature for this process?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU= Q-W
    PV=nRΔT
    ΔU= nCv(ΔT)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I started by trying to use PV=nRΔT and calculating T, however I wasnt successful. The answer in my book is in Kelvins, so I tried converting the temperature that I calculated to Kelvins, however it was still wrong.

I'm thinking that I might need to take the integral: ∫ PVdv but im not sure if thats correct either.

Can somone please help me out, It would be greatly appreciated.

The correct answer is: 720K

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.
    The above equation is not correct. The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, not PV = nRΔT.

From PV = nRT can you calculate the initial temperature? How about the final temperature?

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3
    From the ideal gas law, what is the initial temperature? From the ideal gas law, what is the final temperature?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted