Calculate the surface and the angle of the figure below.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
catala
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://ima.cs-gamers.com.ar//images/490matjhs.jpg

I have to calculate the surface from the object and the angle alpha.

Homework Equations



[itex]A_{triangle} = \frac{b * h}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{a}{\sin \alpha_1} = \frac{b}{\sin \alpha_2}[/itex]

Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution



I have calculated from differents methods, one with one rectangle and triangle. And the other form with dividing the object with two triangles.

Dividing the object in two triangles thus leaving:

The triangle with base (640) Can be that the angles of this triangle are 90 , 45 and 45?

Because if they are well the height gives a value of I 640, which in the drawing does not correspond

Help please
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
catala said:

Homework Statement



http://ima.cs-gamers.com.ar//images/490matjhs.jpg

I have to calculate the surface from the object and the angle alpha.

Homework Equations



[itex]A_{triangle} = \frac{b * h}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{a}{\sin \alpha_1} = \frac{b}{\sin \alpha_2}[/itex]

Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution



I have calculated from differents methods, one with one rectangle and triangle.
This is the simpler way, with a right triangle on the left and a rectangle on the right. It's very easy to get one of the legs of the right triangle. A little right triangle trig will then get you the side opposite the angle α.
catala said:
And the other form with dividing the object with two triangles.

Dividing the object in two triangles thus leaving:

The triangle with base (640)

Can be that the angles of this triangle are 90 , 45 and 45?

Because if they are well the height gives a value of I 640, which in the drawing does not correspond

Help please
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the following:

[itex]\frac{500}{\sin 90º} = \frac{400}{\sin \beta} \to \beta = 53, 13º[/itex]

[itex]90º + 53,13º + \alpha = 180º \to \alpha = 36,87º[/itex]

[itex]\sin 36,87º = \frac{h}{500} \to h = 300[/itex]

[itex]A_{triangle} = \frac{b*h}{2} = \frac{400 \cdot 300}{2} = 60000m^2[/itex]

[itex]A_{rectangle} = a * h = 640 * 300 = 192000 m^2[/itex]

[itex]A_T = 252000m^2[/itex]

Is that correct?
 
Last edited:
Looks good.

You could have saved yourself some work by noting that the triangle is a right triangle. You know the base (400 m.) and the hypotenuse (500 m.), so cos(α) = 400/500 = 4/5 ##\Rightarrow ## α = cos-1(4/5) ≈ 36.87°.