Calculate the thrust acting on a rocket

In summary, the question asks for the thrust applied to a rocket that is exhausting gasses at a constant rate of 700 kg/sec at a velocity of 300 ms^-1. Using the equation a= T - mg/m, where T is the thrust, a is the acceleration, and m is the mass, we can calculate the momentum of the exhaust gases. This momentum must be equal to the momentum of the rocket itself. By using conservation of momentum, we can solve for the thrust needed to achieve this momentum.
ASidd

Homework Statement

A 20,000 kg rocket exhausts gasses at a constant 700 kg/sec at 300 ms^-1
Deduce the thrust applied to the rocket by its engines

Homework Equations

The only equation I know is a= T- mg/m

Where T= thrust
a=acceleration
m=mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know any other formulas and I can't use the one above because I don't have the acceleration
Please help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "conservation of momentum". You can calculate the momentum of the exhaust gases from the information given and that must be equal to the momentum of the rocket itself. What thrust will give that mometum?

1. How is the thrust of a rocket calculated?

The thrust of a rocket is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the propellant by its exhaust velocity.

2. What factors affect the thrust of a rocket?

The factors that affect the thrust of a rocket include the mass flow rate of the propellant, the exhaust velocity, and the design and efficiency of the rocket engine.

3. How does the mass of the rocket affect its thrust?

The mass of the rocket does not directly affect its thrust. However, a lighter rocket will require less thrust to accelerate compared to a heavier rocket.

4. Can you calculate the thrust of a rocket in different environments?

Yes, the thrust of a rocket can be calculated in different environments by taking into account the changes in air pressure and temperature.

5. How is the thrust of a rocket related to its acceleration?

The thrust of a rocket is directly related to its acceleration. The greater the thrust, the greater the acceleration of the rocket.