Calculate the time to travel a distance with acceleration

In summary, to find the total time it takes for the train to travel a known distance with a capped speed, you will need to break up the motion into two parts: the accelerated part and the constant speed part. Using the formula d=vt + 1/2at2 and considering the initial velocity as 0, you can find the time it takes for the train to reach its top speed and the distance it travels in that time. Then, using the remaining distance and the constant speed, you can find the time it takes for the train to complete its journey. Add these two times together to get the total time.
Nigel1500
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the time it takes to travel a known distance, but with a capped speed.

For example, let's say a train has an acceleration rate of 0.8m/s/s, and a top speed of 72km/h, ie: 20m/s. It's going to make a 12km journey, accelerating to it's top speed from rest. How long does it take?

I have the formula: d=vt + 1/2at2

where v = initial velocity, in this case 0. d = distance, a = acceleration.

I'm having trouble making "t" the subject. Because the train is starting from rest, with an initial velocity of 0, I'm ignoring that part of the equation entirely. I came up with this:

t = (√2d)/a

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Nige'

Physics news on Phys.org
Nigel1500 said:
I have the formula: d=vt + 1/2at2

where v = initial velocity, in this case 0. d = distance, a = acceleration.

I'm having trouble making "t" the subject. Because the train is starting from rest, with an initial velocity of 0, I'm ignoring that part of the equation entirely. I came up with this:

t = (√2d)/a
I think you mean t = √(2d/a). Parentheses matter.

Is that correct?
Not exactly. That formula is good for the accelerated part of the motion, but what about after the train achieves top speed? At that point it's just constant speed motion.

So break it up into two parts: accelerated part and constant speed part.

For the first part, ask yourself: How long does it take to reach top speed? How far does it get in that time?

For the second part, ask yourself: How much distance remains? How long does it take to travel that distance?

What is the formula for calculating time to travel a distance with acceleration?

The formula for calculating time to travel a distance with acceleration is time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration.

How do you calculate the time to travel a distance with acceleration?

To calculate the time to travel a distance with acceleration, you will need to know the initial velocity (starting speed), final velocity (ending speed), and acceleration (change in velocity over time). Plug these values into the formula: time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration.

What is the unit of measurement for time when calculating distance with acceleration?

The unit of measurement for time when calculating distance with acceleration is seconds.

Can the formula for calculating time to travel a distance with acceleration be used for both constant and changing acceleration?

Yes, the formula for calculating time to travel a distance with acceleration can be used for both constant and changing acceleration, as long as the values for initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration are known.

What is the relationship between acceleration and time when calculating distance?

The relationship between acceleration and time when calculating distance is that acceleration is directly proportional to time. This means that as acceleration increases, time also increases. However, the rate of increase may vary depending on the values of initial and final velocity.