Calculate the velocity of the boat

In summary, we have a child in a boat throwing a 6.40-kg package with a speed of 10.0 m/s. The mass of the child is 26.0 kg, and that of the boat is 45.0 kg. Using conservation of momentum, we can calculate the velocity of the boat immediately after the package is thrown, which is approximately 0.09 m/s. In order to solve the problem, we need to consider the combined mass of the child and boat. For the second problem, we can use the increase in kinetic energy when the car's speed increases by 50% to determine the factor by which the minimum braking distance will also increase.
MIA6
1. A child in a boat throws a 6.40-kg package out horizontally with a speed of 10.0 m/s. Calculate the velocity of the boat immediately after, assuming it was initially at rest. The mass of the child is 26.0 kg, and that of the boat is 45.0 kg. Ignore water resistance.
Should I use conservation of momentum to solve it? But here the two objects are package and boat? how about the child?
2. If the speed of a car is increased by 50%, by what factor will its minimum braking distance be increased, assuming all else is the same? Ignore the driver's reaction time.
I have no any clue for this one.
Hope you can give me some hint, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I use conservation of momentum to solve it?
Yes.
But here the two objects are package and boat? how about the child?
Here if the child remains at rest while throughing the packet, then you have to consider the combined mass of child and boat.
In problem 2, calculate the increase in the KE when the speed increases by 50% and see how the KE and braking distance are related

I have not considered #2 but for #1, is not time information needed (acceleration of the package / time taken for it to reach 10 m/s) in order to answer the question?

Please excuse my cerebral lapse. Of course, velocity can be calculated by dividing momentum over mass. So the momentum of the stone, 6.4 kg ms, over the combined mass of the child and boat would give the boat a velocity of 6.4 / 71 = ~0.09 m/s, ignoring resistance.

MIA6 said:
1. A child in a boat throws a 6.40-kg package out horizontally with a speed of 10.0 m/s. Calculate the velocity of the boat immediately after, assuming it was initially at rest. .

I think you have a little math error, you've stated the momentum is 6.4 kg m/s, but you perhaps forgot to multiply the 6.4 kg by 10 m/s?

Or is it me, I'm a little rusty.

Yet another failure on my part. I have lost so many marks through silly errors such as this. The answer, unless I am again mistaken is:

V = p/m = (6.4 * 10) / 71 = 64 / 71 = ~0.9 m/s

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a boat?

To calculate the velocity of a boat, you need to measure the distance the boat travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the boat's velocity.

2. What units are used to measure the velocity of a boat?

The units commonly used to measure the velocity of a boat are meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

3. Can the velocity of a boat change?

Yes, the velocity of a boat can change. It can increase or decrease depending on factors such as the boat's engine power, wind speed, and water currents.

4. How does the velocity of a boat affect its performance?

The velocity of a boat can greatly affect its performance. A higher velocity can result in better fuel efficiency, faster travel time, and smoother handling of the boat. However, it can also increase the risk of accidents if not controlled properly.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the velocity of a boat?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when calculating the velocity of a boat. These include the shape and weight of the boat, water conditions, and the boat's direction and angle of travel.