1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the velocity of the transverse wave at any position

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    a string of length l and mass m hangs freely from a fixed point
    calculate the velocity of the transverse wave at any position
    sol:
    mass per unit length is m/l
    let there be a point on the string at a distance x from free end
    tension at the point=wt of the string per unit length*part of the string
    =(m/l)*x*g
    and sol continues.

my doubt is why isnt the upper part contributing to the tension?
    weight due to upper part must be pushing down the lower part.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: waves

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is "You can't push with a string."

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3

sir,
    the string here has considerable mass.let us consider the part x(as i have mentionedin prob) and l-x seperately.why isnt the weight due to upper part pushing down the lower part and contributing to tension?
    isnt it just like a block placed over another as in this case it is clear that the upper block exerts some force over the lower?
    thanks in advance.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, let's consider lengths x above and L-x below. Draw a horizontal line on the string at x. The line has thickness dx and the rope at the line has mass dm = dx/L. Mass dm is in equilibrium and at rest. This means that the net force on it is zero. I know that the string of length L-x below dm exerts a force that is down because of its weight. In what direction should the string of length x above dm exert a force so that dm is at rest, down or up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook