Calculate time evolution of Schrodinger wave equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time evolution of the Schrodinger wave equation. It covers topics such as normalizing the state, calculating the wave function at a given time, and finding the average energy of the particle. The conversation also highlights the importance of orthonormality in the calculation process.
natugnaro
[SOLVED] Calculate time evolution of Schrodinger wave equation

Homework Statement

At time t=0 particle is in state:

[tex]\psi\left(x\right)=\sqrt{2}A\phi_{1}(x)+\frac{A}{\sqrt{2}}\phi_{2}(x)+A\phi_{3}(x)[/tex]

where [tex]\phi_{n}(x)[/tex] are eigenfunctions of 1-D infinite potential well.
a) Normalize the state
b) calculate [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex]
d) Calculate <E>

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi\left(x,t\right)=\sum_{n}b_{n}*\phi_{n}(x)*e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{h/2Pi}}[/tex]

[tex]b_{n}=<\phi_{n}(x)|\psi(x,0)>[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]b_{n}=\int^{L}_{0}\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}*Sin(\frac{n*Pi*x}{L})*\psi(x,0)*dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From normalization I've got A = (2/7)^1/2.

To calculate [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] I have used

[tex]\psi\left(x,t\right)=\sum_{n}b_{n}*\phi_{n}(x)*e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{h/2Pi}}[/tex]

To get to bn coefficients I need to calculate the integral:

[tex]b_{n}=\int^{L}_{0}\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}*Sin(\frac{n*Pi*x}{L})*\psi(x,0)*dx[/tex]

This integral gives Sin[n*Pi] multiplied by some expression,
but this means thath all bn coefficients are zero (since Sin[n*Pi]=0 for every integer n).
So my [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] is always zero except for t=0, is this possible ?

This also means that probability of finding particle later inside the well is zero,
but particle should be located shomewere inside well, potential walls are infinite so particle
can't escape !?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question is really simple. I have some state function (which is not zero) at t=0.
Then when I calculated Psi(x,t) for t other than zero I've got Psi(x,t)=0 !
Is something missing in my problem formulation ?

Is this possible ? simple yes or no would be great !

I've done integral for bn coefficients again , and I've got:

b1=0/0 , b2=0/0 , b3=0/0 , and for n>3 bn=0 , now I'm totally puzzled, how should I interpret this result? where in space is my particle ?
I could post my mathematica notebook if that helps.

Please help !

You don't NEED to calculate the bn's. You already have them. E.g. b1=sqrt(2)*A. The integral of phi_n(x)*phi_m(x) is equal to zero only if m is not equal to n. It's equal to 1 if m=n. They are orthonormal.

Ah !, I understand it now, so:
b1=2/sqrt(7) , b2=1/sqrt(7) , b3=sqrt(2/7) , bn=0 for n>3

and
[tex]\psi(x,t)=b_{1}e^{-i\omega_{1}t}\phi_{1}(x) + b_{2}e^{-i\omega_{2}t}\phi_{2}(x) + b_{3}e^{-i\omega_{3}t}\phi_{3}(x)[/tex]

d)

[tex]<E>=\sum|b_{n}|^{2}E_{n}[/tex]

[tex]<E>=\frac{1}{7}(4E_{1}+4E_{1}+18E_{1})=\frac{26}{7}E_{1}[/tex]

Simple explanation but it helped me. Thanks a lot Dick , I was so much in calculating integrals that I could not see the obvious.
I also understan why I got 0/0 for first three bn's before.

Last edited:

What is the Schrodinger wave equation and why is it important?

The Schrodinger wave equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system changes over time. It is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, which is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

How do you solve the Schrodinger wave equation?

The Schrodinger wave equation is a differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the system being studied and the level of accuracy required.

What factors affect the time evolution of a quantum system?

The time evolution of a quantum system is affected by several factors, including the initial state of the system, the potential energy of the system, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can cause the wave function to change over time, resulting in different probabilities for the particle's location.

Can the Schrodinger wave equation be applied to all physical systems?

No, the Schrodinger wave equation is only applicable to systems that exhibit quantum behavior, such as particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical systems, such as macroscopic objects, follow different equations of motion and cannot be described by the Schrodinger wave equation.

What are some real-world applications of the Schrodinger wave equation?

The Schrodinger wave equation has numerous applications in modern technology, including the development of transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in the study of chemical reactions, material properties, and quantum computing.