Calculate Work and Crate Speed in Astronaut's Space Station Maneuvers

  • Thread starter Thread starter WolfpackPride
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
WolfpackPride
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A crate with a mass of 120 kg glides through a space station with a speed of 2.5 m/s. An astronaut speeds it up by pushing on it from behind with a force of 250 N, continually pushing with this force through a distance of 5 m. The astronaut moves around to the front of the crate and slows the crate down by pushing backwards with a force of 220 N, backing up through a distance of 4 m.

What is the total amount of work done by the astronaut in these two maneuvers? (I correctly calculated this to be W = 370J)


After these two maneuvers, what is the speed of the crate?


Homework Equations



Kf - Ki = work

The Attempt at a Solution



I found the work, but need the speed. I just can't figure out how to pull the velocity out of that correctly
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the work, but need the speed. I just can't figure out how to pull the velocity out of that correctly
If you want speed then what was the KE of the object initially?

How much net work did the astroworker do? If you add that to the object's energy, that's the final KE and Ke = ½mv²