Crate pushed up an inclined plane

• Thread starter rrosa522
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A warehouse worker pushes a crate of mass 24 kg up a ramp. Assume that the friction between the crate and ramp can be ignored.
a) Determine the component of gravitational force directed along the ramp's surface.
b) Calculate the force required to move the crate at a constant speed up the ramp.
c) Calculate the work done in pushing the crate 23 m as measured along the ramp. Assume the crate moves at a constant velocity.
d) Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the ramp is μk = 0.25. Calculate the work done on the crate by the worker and by friction, and calculate the total work done as the worker pushes the crate 16 m up the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for (a) I got 235N (just multiplied mass by 9.81) but the answer is 120N

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
I got 235N (just multiplied mass by 9.81)
That would be the crate's weight. But they are asking for a component of the weight. (What angle does the ramp make with the horizontal?)

That would be the crate's weight. But they are asking for a component of the weight. (What angle does the ramp make with the horizontal?)
30 degrees

Doc Al
Mentor
30 degrees
OK. Now draw yourself a diagram. Use it and a little trig to find the components of the weight parallel and perpendicular to the incline.

And if you do that:
fgx=fgcos30
=(24)(9.8)cos30
=203.69N

but it says the correct answer is 120N, am I doing something wrong, this seems pretty basic but idk.

Doc Al
Mentor
And if you do that:
fgx=fgcos30
=(24)(9.8)cos30
=203.69N

but it says the correct answer is 120N, am I doing something wrong, this seems pretty basic but idk.
You found the component of the weight perpendicular to the plane, but they want the component parallel to it.

whoops I have to use sin
just noticed thanks