Calculate Work Required for a 71 kg Skier on a 30° Slope with Constant Velocity

  • Thread starter Thread starter bearhug
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bearhug
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
A skier of mass 71 kg is pulled up a slope by a motor-driven cable.
(a) How much work is required to pull him a distance of 55 m up a 30° slope at a constant speed of 1.1 m/s

I'm having trouble trying to figure out where velocity comes into play here. Originally I was using the equation W=Fcosø ∆r and I found F using F=mgsinø. But my homework says this is wrong so I'm begging someone to help me out here.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can answer this question one of two ways;

(1)Reslove the forces and find the tension in the cable, then multiply by the distance traveled up the slope.

(2)Find the work done against gravity (W = mgh).