Work questions- An object on an inclined plane involving friction.

In summary: In the absence of other information (such as a wind blowing uphill or downhill) the frictional force will be parallel to the slope.
Dtbennett

Homework Statement

A skier, mass m = 85 kg including skis, poles and clothes, skis directly down a slope with an angle Φ = 21° to the horizontal. His body is rigid, the poles are not touching the snow. He is traveling at a constant speed of 71 kph in a straight line. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.21. In all of the following, think about the units and sign, and it probably helps to draw a free body diagram.

a)What is the rate at which gravity is doing work on the skier? (Here, 'skier; includes skis, poles and clothes.) (in kW)
b)What is the rate at which friction is doing work on him?
c)What is the rate at which air resistance is doing work on him?

Homework Equations

Work done by gravity= mgdcos(x)
kW= J/s
F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the work equation from a textbook, but I think the problem is rate. Subbing in the values gives
85x 9.8m/s^2 x 19.7222 m/s x cos(11)
= 1624.6111 kg/s
Converting this to kW, you get 161.109.
But this isn't really a rate... How do you figure out the rate? is it a derivative of some sort?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, are you sure about "Work done by gravity = mgdcos(x)"? Gravity works vertically and if x is the angle of the slope, 21 degrees here, cos(x) will give a horizontal factor not vertical.

Second, since the problem does say that the slope is 21 degrees, why are you using cos(11)?

Third, to find the rate at which work is done, dW/dt, use the "chain rule"- dW/dt= (dW/dx)(dx/dt) where "x" is the distance moved down the slope (what you called, I think, "d" in your formua). You are told that "He is traveling at a constant speed of 71 kph" so dx/dt= 71.

Hello dt and welcome to PF.
So rate of something is just amount of something per unit time. The giveaway in the problem is that they want it expressed in kW which is kJ/s.
Your expression (with sin(21) instead of cos(11) ) is right, but you should take better care of the dimensions:

kg * m/s2 * m/s = N * m / s = J/s = W and not kg/s. And converting W to kW is not a matter of dividing by 10.

Now do the same exercise for the friction.

Show the free body diagram and try to find the wind rate of work in two "different" ways so that you have a check on the result.

Last edited:
Also kph isn't an accepted abbreviation. km/h is the only accepted abbreviation for kilometer per hour.

Hello, I am actually doing this question as well. I am up to this bit:

b)What is the rate at which friction is doing work on him?

I am a bit confused about the direction of the velocity for friction. I assume its velocity is parallel to the incline?

This is what I have for part b so far. I'll use the values the OP has posted.
u=kinetic friction
u*N=Ff
Ff=0.21*85*cos(21)*-9.8

Power=P=fv=Ff*v

v=71/3.6 m/s

=0.21*85*cos(21)*-9.8*71/3.6

Now, this is where I am unsure. I have assumed that the frictional velocity is the one parallel to the incline that is 71km/h. Is this correct?

blueray101 said:
Now, this is where I am unsure. I have assumed that the frictional velocity is the one parallel to the incline that is 71km/h. Is this correct?
Yes.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is commonly used in physics to study the effects of gravity on objects.

2. How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it can act on an object on an inclined plane. It can either help or hinder the movement of the object depending on the direction of the force and the angle of the incline.

3. How is the force of friction calculated on an object on an inclined plane?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object. The normal force is the force exerted by the inclined plane on the object perpendicular to its surface.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the movement of an object on an inclined plane?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object, which can cause the object to slide down the plane faster. However, if the angle is too steep, the object may not be able to overcome the force of friction and remain stationary.

5. How does the mass of the object affect its movement on an inclined plane?

The mass of the object affects the force of gravity acting on it, which in turn affects its movement on the inclined plane. A heavier object will have a greater force of gravity and may slide down the plane faster than a lighter object.