Calculating a force on a piston

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force acting on an Otto cycle piston and the potential causes of this force. The data for the calculation is given, and multiple methods are used to arrive at the solution of 3935N. However, it is noted that there may be other factors at play and simple equations may not accurately represent the complex forces at work.
Auto Engineer
I have what I think for me is an interesting subject, which deserves some thought about how to correctly calculate the force acting on a Otto cycle piston, and whether that force is from compression pressure, or the force acting from the crank and conrod.

You have an engine running and diagnostic equipment displays that the engine cylinder torque on one cylinder is 26Nm, the rest are significantly different just for arguments sake.

The engine does not run smoothly and a diagnosis involves calculating the force Fp on the piston at 1mm before TDC.

You are given the following data;

I = 70mm
r = 18mm
T = 26 Nm
θ = 17.13°
∅ = 4.34°

Using the sine rule I calculated that "I" is indeed 70mm by the following method;

I / sin I = P / sin P = I / sin(17.13) = 18 / sin(4.34) = 70.06mm

I used Pythagoras theorem to calculate the length OP = 68mm

The radius OC is given at 18mm, which is the same length as OM being also the radius.

I was suprised to find after calculating the length OP that the diagram seems incorrect, although any triangle which has a right angle will have a longest side known as the hypotenuse, but this diagram does not indicate a right angle, and I would not expect it to because we are talking about a rotating mechanism.

The answer/solution to the problem is given as Fp = 3935 N

This is how I worked out the problem;

Triangle OCM = ∅ + θ = 21.47°

Angle LM = 85.66°

OM = 18(sin 21.47) / (sin 85.66) = 6.61

Force on piston Fp = 26 / 6.61 x 1000 = 3933 N

Is there another way of calculating the force, and is this force acting on top of the piston or through the crank and conrod to the piston?

Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Crank Angle Torque Diagram.png
    Crank Angle Torque Diagram.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,022
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are oversimplifying. Multiple forces act on the piston. They all vary with time. Conditions in the chamber are non-equilibirium. I do not think that simple equations will ever do what you want.

1. How do you calculate the force on a piston?

To calculate the force on a piston, you can use the formula F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the piston in square meters.

2. What is the relationship between pressure and force on a piston?

The force on a piston is directly proportional to the pressure acting on it. This means that as the pressure increases, the force on the piston also increases.

3. How do I determine the area of a piston?

The area of a piston can be determined by measuring the diameter of the piston and using the formula A = π x (d/2)^2, where A is the area and d is the diameter of the piston.

4. Can the force on a piston be negative?

Yes, the force on a piston can be negative if there is a force acting in the opposite direction, such as a force pulling the piston downwards instead of upwards.

5. How does the weight of the piston affect the force calculation?

The weight of the piston does not directly affect the force calculation. However, the weight of the piston may need to be taken into account when determining the net force on the piston, as it may add to or subtract from the overall force.