1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a magnetic field at a given point

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a picture of the problem, look at the attached picture.
    There's a current i through the wire.
    1)Calculate the magnetic field (at point C) produced by each segment of length L.
    2)The semi-circular segment of radius R.
    3)The entire wire.
    2. Relevant equations
    None given. Biot-Savart and Ampère's law.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)Using Biot-Savart law, I have that [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 i}{4 \pi} \int d \vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex] but [tex]\vec l[/tex] and [tex]\vec r[/tex] are parallel, so the cross product is worth [tex]0[/tex] and so the contribution of the 2 segments of length [tex]L[/tex] to the magnetic field at point [tex]C[/tex] is null.
    2) and 3) : Using Ampère's law I get that [tex]B=\frac{\mu _0 i}{\pi R}[/tex]

Is that right? I find my answer to 1) strange.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Your answer to 1) is right: charges moving directly towards or away from a point don't induce any magnetic field at that point. Your answer to 2) is a bit strange, though. How did you use Ampere's law? Which closed loop did you integrate around? I find it easier to just use the Biot-Savart law; the integral isn't necessary because the vector dl is always perpendicular to the vector r.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much for helping!
    Ok, nice to know I got part 1) right.
    2) [tex]\oint \vec B d \vec l = \mu _0i[/tex] but as you pointed out [tex]\vec B \perp \vec l[/tex] for the entire semi circle loop so that [tex]B \cdot \pi R = \mu _0 i[/tex], hence my result.
    I can say I've took a surrounding to the semi circle loop, closed loop. Does it matter? The current enclosed will always be worth [tex]i[/tex].

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

There are a few problems with this. First, there's no obvious symmetry that suggests B is the same along the entire loop. Second, even if B doesn't vary, you're trying to find the magnetic field at point C; finding the field along the loop doesn't help. Third, i represents the current enclosed within the loop; in your scenario, the current is flowing parallel to the loop you chose. Finally, you chose a semi-circle, not a closed loop. Ampere's law only works for closed loops (notice the circle on the integral sign in your equation). There are absolutely no exceptions.

6. Nov 1, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

First, thanks for helping.

hmm I don't understand why not. The semi-circular loop is the only part of the wire that create the magnetic field at point C, so enclosing it by a loop sounded good to me.

I haven't been clear enough. :shy: sorry. I meant I can say I have chosen a closed loop which has the same shape as the semi-circular part of the wire. For example a loop that has a width of [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] arbitrary small or big, instead of no width as is considered the wire. But a closed loop that enclose absolutely all the semi-circular wire.

Lastly, I will see a friend today, I will ask him if he knows how to solve this problem. I will post back here anyway, whether or not I have to procedure to solve the problem. Answer to my misconception if you like though, I'd be glad to learn.

7. Nov 1, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As ideasrule states, Ampere's law is not useful in solving this problem. Instead, use the Biot-Savart law for all parts of the problem. The integration is trivial.

8. Nov 1, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

You're right, I've underestimated this part.
    [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 i}{4 \pi} \oint d\vec l \times \frac{d \vec r}{r^3}[/tex] but as [tex]\vec l \perp \vec r[/tex], the path integral is worth [tex]\frac{\pi R}{R^2}=\frac{\pi}{R}[/tex], thus [tex]B= \frac{\mu _0 i}{4 R}[/tex].
    The direction of the magnetic field must point upward C, I believe. (for symmetrical reasons).

I hope I got it right.

9. Nov 1, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good. (The direction of the field depends on the direction of the current. It's either into or out of the paper.)

10. Nov 1, 2009 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah I see.

Thanks a lot to both!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook