Calculating acc. from the given data

• Thread starter jatin1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the car travels 450m in 5 seconds and then 700m in the next 5 seconds, leading to an acceleration of 10m/s^2.
jatin1990

Homework Statement

A car moving with uniform acceleration covers 450m in a 5 second interval, and covers 700m in the next 5 seconds interval. The acceleration of the car is ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

please correct me if i am wrong, i calculate velocity at the end of the first run i.e. v1= 450/5= 90m/s . And then at the end of 2nd run v2= 700/5 = 140 m/s. Then i apply,
Acceleration =change in velocity upon time period i.e. (140-90)/5 = 10m/s^2 , right?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jatin1990! :smile:
jatin1990 said:
please correct me if i am wrong, i calculate velocity at the end of the first run i.e. v1= 450/5= 90m/s . And then at the end of 2nd run v2= 700/5 = 140 m/s.

nooo, that gives you the average velocity, which doesn't help much :redface:

you'll probably need two constant acceleration equations, one for each time period

(you may find it easier to put t = 0 in the middle, so that the two end-times are ±5 s :wink:)

1. How do you calculate acceleration from given data?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative if the object is decelerating, or slowing down. Positive acceleration indicates an increase in speed, while negative acceleration indicates a decrease in speed.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its speed or direction. An object with a greater acceleration will experience a larger change in velocity in a given amount of time.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is measured at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration may be constant or changing, but instantaneous acceleration can vary continuously.