Calculating acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet

In summary, you threw a stone upwards on an alien planet and measured the times Ta and Tb. The difference in heights of point a and point b is h. You then calculated the acceleration due to gravity.
toastie

Homework Statement

On an alien planet you throw a stone upward and measure the times Ta and Tb. The difference in heights of point a and point b is h. Calculate the acceleration due to gravity.
Ta = 7.1s; Tb= 4.4s; h = 15.1m

Homework Equations

a = dv/st
v(t) = vo - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving a = t*(2gh)^.5. I have also tried a = 2h/(Ta-Tb). I keep getting numbers that are far too great I believe based off of the numbers I am given.

Physics news on Phys.org
toastie said:

Homework Statement

On an alien planet you throw a stone upward and measure the times Ta and Tb. The difference in heights of point a and point b is h. Calculate the acceleration due to gravity.
Ta = 7.1s; Tb= 4.4s; h = 15.1m

Homework Equations

a = dv/st
v(t) = vo - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving a = t*(2gh)^.5. I have also tried a = 2h/(Ta-Tb). I keep getting numbers that are far too great I believe based off of the numbers I am given.
I'm afraid that you cannot use either of those two equations, since you do not know that initial and final velocities of the stone. And what is that g doing in your attempt at the solution? Here g and a are the same thing.

Can you think of a better kinematic (SUVAT) equation to use rather than the one that you have chosen?

I don't understand how you are suppose to use kinematic equations when you do not have any of the variable to work with.

toastie said:
I don't understand how you are suppose to use kinematic equations when you do not have any of the variable to work with.
Well that not quite right, we do no some things. Let's make two lists. First, write down that variable that you want to find out. Second, write down a list of everything that you know.

okay so we have two time variables, a height displacement and we want to find acceleration. But most equations ask for velocity, which I do not know. So do I need to solve for the velocity at each time given. Then find the difference between those velocities and then divided that by the difference in time?

toastie said:
okay so we have two time variables, a height displacement and we want to find acceleration.
Good. So now list the (four) kinematic equations for constant acceleration.

v=at+vo
dv=.5(v+vo)
x=.5at^2 + vot + xo
x=dvt + xo = (v^2 - vo^2)/2a + xo

toastie said:
v=at+vo
dv=.5(v+vo)
x=.5at^2 + vot + xo
x=dvt + xo = (v^2 - vo^2)/2a + xo
Good. So, we know x, t and v1. We want to find out a, but we don't know v0.

Can you use two of the above equations to eliminate v0?

I get: .5at^2 + xo = x

toastie said:
I get: .5at^2 + xo = x
Good.

Can you now solve the problem?

the only question i have left is: x is equal to h and i assume xo=0 right?

another question: for the time is it the time difference?

toastie said:
another question: for the time is it the time difference?
Correct.
toastie said:
the only question i have left is: x is equal to h and i assume xo=0 right?
Yup :smile:

okay so with numbers i get: (2*15.1)/((7.1-4.4)^2) = 4.143 which is not correct. what am i doing wrong?

okay I think I am doing something wrong since I keep getting vt=0.

toastie said:
okay so with numbers i get: (2*15.1)/((7.1-4.4)^2) = 4.143 which is not correct. what am i doing wrong?
I don't see any reason why your answer should be wrong, except perhaps that it may need a negative sign since the acceleration is vertically downwards.

i have tried -4.143 m/s^2 and it is still wrong

toastie said:
i have tried -4.143 m/s^2 and it is still wrong
Does the online submission program specify a required accuracy?

i did finally get the answer. Thank you for all your help.

toastie said:
i did finally get the answer. Thank you for all your help.

My pleasure :smile:

1. How is the acceleration due to gravity calculated on an alien planet?

The acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet is calculated using the formula: a = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the planet's center and the object.

2. Does the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet differ from Earth?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet can differ from Earth. This is because the value of G, as well as the mass and radius of the planet, may be different from Earth.

3. How can we measure the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet?

We can measure the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet by using a device such as a accelerometer. This device measures the force of gravity acting on an object and can calculate the acceleration due to gravity based on that measurement.

4. Can the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet change over time?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet can change over time. This can be due to factors such as changes in the planet's mass, rotation, or orbit.

5. Is there a standard unit for measuring acceleration due to gravity on an alien planet?

Yes, the standard unit for measuring acceleration due to gravity is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit is used on Earth as well as on other planets in the universe.