1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagating uncertainty when calculating acceleration due to gravity?

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm having trouble with a lab report. The experiment conducted was we used an angled air-track and a timer to determine the speed at which an object slid down the track and its acceleration.

The final average acceleration we calculated was (61.034 +- 2.227)(cm/s2)

We're then given a formula to calculate gravitation acceleration from this figure: g=acceleration/(sinx)

Where x is the angle of the air-track, let's say 3.523 degrees.

How do I propagate uncertainty for this? I can calculate g easily, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to find a value for the +- bit. I don't know the uncertainty of the measured angle. My best guess would be that since I do not know the uncertainty of X, and thus I don't know the uncertainty of sin(x), I treat sin(x) like a precise number and divide acceleration's uncertainty by it to determine the uncertainty of g. Is this correct? If not, how do I do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In general, if ##z=f(x)## where the uncertainty on x is ##\sigma_x## then $$\sigma_z=\frac{df}{dx}\sigma_x$$
    This means the error on sin(x) is the same as the error on x, if the angle is very small.

In general, for small angles ##\sin\theta \approx \theta## where the angle is in radians.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Interesting. For the experiment, we used a meter stick to determine the length/height of the device, so we were only able to measure to the nearest milimeter. Does this mean there is an implied uncertainty of .05cm? From the length/height we used trig functions to calculate the angle of 3ish degrees, so do I then propagate that error as I would with multiplication/division to find the uncertainty in the angle?

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh I get you.

From your kinematics coursework you should know that the acceleration of a block on a frictionless ramp inclined angle ##\theta## to the horizontal is given by ##a=g\sin\theta##. Therefore $$g=\frac{a}{\sin\theta}$$Why did you calculate the angle? You don't need it.

If you measured the length of the track L and the height you lifted the end above the table h, then your trigonometry tells you that $$\sin\theta=\frac{h}{L}\implies g=\frac{aL}{h}$$... you should be able to propagate those errors.

If you measured a length along the table x and a height to the ramp y, the $$\tan\theta = \frac{y}{x}$$
    But for small angles, ##\tan\theta\approx\sin\theta## ... it is likely that the difference between the tangent and the sine of the angle is smaller than the uncertainties involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted