1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating acceleration when only have time and distance

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car travels 400m in 60s. The first 10s it accelerates from stationary. The last 10 seconds it decelerates back to stationary. For the middle 40s it has a constant velocity. What is the acceleration?

2. Relevant equations
    None given

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using only time and distance travelled I can only think how to calculate the average velocity: Vave = distance travelled / time = 6.67 m/s. I don't so much need an answer, more some guidance of where to begin. I'm pretty stuck. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Maybe start graphically? You might find some inspiration. Make a sketch of velocity versus time. You don't know the cruising speed yet, so leave that as a variable. Now, what do you know about the area under a velocity vs time graph?

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    The area under the graph should equal the displacement, so the total area should equal 400m. I have drawn a graph (attached). When a put the acceleration and deceleration together the area is exactly one 5th of the time spent cruising: therefore, the amount of time spent accelerating and decelerating is one 5th of 400m = 80 meters. Divide this by 2 and the car moved 40 meters in 10 seconds.
    Acceleration = distance/time^2 = 40m/10^2 = 0.4m/s

Does this sound right? Making a sketch was good advise because it is starting to make sense to me. Just hope I have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Very close indeed. However: ##distance = \frac{1}{2} Acceleration \cdot time^2##. So fix that up and you should be good.

6. Nov 30, 2015 #5
    Yay! Thank you for your help. I've been staring at this question since yesterday, and actually drawing it was brilliant advice. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted