Finding Maximum Velocity in Train Motion

In summary, the question involves finding the maximum velocity of a train that travels 1.2 km with an average velocity of 43.2 km/h. The train experiences acceleration, uniform motion, and then deceleration during its journey, with the acceleration during deceleration being equal to the acceleration during acceleration. To solve this, one can draw a velocity-time graph and use the fact that distance traveled is the area under the graph.
Vitalii

Homework Statement

A train travels a distance of 1,2 km between two stations with an average velocity of 43.2 km/h. During it's motion, at the time t1=40s it moved accelerated, then at time t2 it moved uniformly, then at t3=40s it moved uniformly slowed. Find the maximum velocity of the train.
The acceleration during the slowed motion is equal in modulus to the acceleration during the accelerated motion.

distance=1,2 km
average velocity=43.2 km/h
t1=40s
t3=40s
|a3|= a1

Hopefully it makes sense.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving it by finding the total time. Ttotal=average velocity/total distance. 1.2/43.2=0.027 h or 97.2 seconds

from here i can find t2 which is 97.2-40-40=12.7
after this I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitalii said:

Homework Statement

A train travels a distance of 1,2 km between two stations with an average velocity of 43.2 km/h. During it's motion, at the time t1=40s it moved accelerated, then at time t2 it moved uniformly, then at t3=40s it moved uniformly slowed. Find the maximum velocity of the train.
The acceleration during the slowed motion is equal in modulus to the acceleration during the accelerated motion.

distance=1,2 km
average velocity=43.2 km/h
t1=40s
t3=40s
|a3|= a1

Hopefully it makes sense.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving it by finding the total time. Ttotal=average velocity/total distance. 1.2/43.2=0.027 h or 97.2 seconds

from here i can find t2 which is 97.2-40-40=12.7
after this I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.

You could try drawing a graph of velocity against time.

PeroK said:
You could try drawing a graph of velocity against time.
How exactly can i draw a graph of velocity against time with all my known data?

Vitalii said:
How exactly can i draw a graph of velocity against time with all my known data?

What's the problem? It accelerates, it moves at constant speed for a time, then it decelerates to a stop. You can draw that.

PeroK said:
What's the problem? It accelerates, it moves at constant speed for a time, then it decelerates to a stop. You can draw that.
How do i draw a velocity against time graph?

Vitalii said:
How do i draw a velocity against time graph?

You put time along the x-axis and velocity along the y-axis, then you draw the velocity as a function of time.

You need to know that distance traveled is the area under the velocity-time graph.

Do they not teach you this anymore?

1. What is the maximum velocity problem?

The maximum velocity problem is a mathematical and scientific concept that involves calculating the maximum possible velocity of an object under certain conditions, such as constant acceleration or the presence of external forces.

2. How is the maximum velocity problem solved?

The maximum velocity problem is typically solved using mathematical equations, such as the equation for velocity (V = V0 + at) or the equation for displacement (x = x0 + V0t + 1/2at^2). These equations take into account factors such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time to determine the maximum velocity of an object.

3. What factors affect the maximum velocity of an object?

The maximum velocity of an object can be affected by several factors, such as the object's mass, the amount of force acting on the object, and the object's drag or resistance in its environment. Other factors, such as the object's shape and surface area, can also impact its maximum velocity.

4. How is the maximum velocity problem relevant in real-world scenarios?

The maximum velocity problem has many real-world applications, such as in the fields of physics and engineering. Understanding an object's maximum velocity can help in designing and optimizing machines and structures, predicting the motion of objects, and ensuring the safety and efficiency of various processes.

5. Are there any limitations to the maximum velocity problem?

While the maximum velocity problem is a useful concept, it does have some limitations. For instance, it assumes that the object is moving in a uniform environment with constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in the real world. Additionally, the calculations for maximum velocity do not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction, which can also affect an object's actual velocity.