1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating antenna directivity

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An antenna has a normalised E-filed pattern, En where [tex]\theta[/tex] = vertical angle as measured from z-axis and [tex]\phi[/tex] = azimuth angle measured from x-axis.
    Calculate the exact directivity

En has a non-zero value whenever [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] and [tex]0 <= \phi <= \pi[/tex]. Elsewhere, En is zero

The correct answer is 6 , but I cannot get this number

2. Relevant equations

[tex]En = sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

Direcitivity is calculating using

[tex]D = 4\pi/ ( \int\intPn(\theta,\phi )d\phid\theta )[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, first of all [tex]Pn = En^{2}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]Pn = sin(\theta)^{2}sin(\phi)^{2}[/tex]

Now [tex]sin^{2}(\theta) = 0.5(1 - cos(2\theta))[/tex] with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

If we perform the integration of the [tex]sin^{2}(\theta)[/tex] terms we should get

[tex]\theta/2 - sin(2\theta)/4[/tex]

Applying the [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi/2[/tex] for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi/2[/tex] as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int\intPn(\theta,\phi )d\phid\theta )[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] into the denomiator part of D, I get [tex]16/\pi[/tex] which obviously is not right. Im not sure where I could be going wrong

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2
    If we perform the integration of the [tex]sin^{2}(\theta)[/tex] terms we should get

Applying the 0 <= [tex]\theta[/tex] <= [tex]\pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]Pn([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Guys, please refer to my 2nd most outlining the integration process

cheers and thanks in advance

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An antenna has a normalised E-filed pattern, En where [tex]\theta[/tex] = vertical angle as measured from z-axis and [tex]\phi[/tex] = azimuth angle measured from x-axis.
    Calculate the exact directivity

En has a non-zero value whenever [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] and [tex]0 <= \phi <= \pi[/tex]. Elsewhere, En is zero

The correct answer is 6 , but I cannot get this number

2. Relevant equations

[tex]En = sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

Direcitivity is calculating using

[tex]D = 4\pi/[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]Pn[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, first of all [tex]Pn = En^{2}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]Pn = sin(\theta)^{2}sin(\phi)^{2}[/tex]

Now [tex]sin^{2}(\theta) = 0.5(1 - cos(2\theta))[/tex] with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

Applying the [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi/2[/tex] for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi/2[/tex] as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]Pn[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] into the denomiator part of D, I get [tex]16/\pi[/tex] which obviously is not right. Im not sure where I could be going wrong

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook