Calculating asymptote of the function

In summary: So when x=-x_1, the numerator will be 1 and the denominator will be positive, so the asymptote will be at (-1).
Zenga

Homework Statement

I would like to find an asymptote of the following function:
f(x) = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{x^3}{x+1}} + x[/itex] as x goes to negative infinity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the limit of the function as x goes to -∞ which is ∞.
However, this is not enough for me. I would like to be as precise as possible when drawing a graph of the function as x goes to -∞. This is the reason why do I want to calculate the asymptote of the function as x goes to -∞

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no asymptote as x goes to negative infinity, there is however an obvious asymptote in the vicinity of -1, can you see it?

By taking the limit as x goes to infinity, you are seeing whether there is a horizontal asymptote or not. This is pretty much as mathematically precise as you can get. Getting the result negative infinity implies that the graph does not approach any specific value as x approaches infinity--the behavior is unbounded.

Edit: You should also calculate the limit as x goes to negative infinity.
But as Vorde said, there is no horizontal asymptote, but maybe a vertical one.

Vorde, Bashyboy: I can only determine the "asymptote" as x approaches 0, which has a slope of -45° (first derivative of the function is -1 when x = 0).

But you have probably something else in mind, isn't it?

There is no asymptote at x = 0.

I agree - there is no asymptote - we can only determine the angle of the slope to the graph in x = 0.

I think you need to restate what exactly it is that you are trying to search for. In your original post, you speak about finding asymptotes and such; now you are discussing slope angles.

I am looking for an oblique asymptote.

A common approach would be to do the following:

[tex]y=\sqrt{\frac{x^3}{x+1}}+x[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\sqrt{x^3}}{\sqrt{x+1}}+x[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\sqrt{x^3}+x\sqrt{x+1}}{\sqrt{x+1}}[/tex]

But this is wrong! Because we're considering when [itex]x\to -\infty[/itex] and [tex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}=\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}[/tex] only works for positive a and b.

So what can we do? Well, we already know that even though [itex]x\to -\infty[/itex] that the value under the square root sign will be positive, so how about we let [itex]x=-x_1[/itex], substitute that into [tex]y=\sqrt{\frac{x^3}{x+1}}+x[/tex] and now we can consider the limit of [itex]x_1 \to\infty[/itex] and follow the same process as before.

After you've done that, you want to simplify the numerator by multiplying both numerator and denominator by the numerator's conjugate (in order to get rid of the surds).

Last edited:
And to point you in the right direction, I wolfram alpha'd this (god I love that site), I'll say there is an asymptote at -1, so it should be pretty easy to mathematically prove that.

Vorde said:
And to point you in the right direction, I wolfram alpha'd this (god I love that site), I'll say there is an asymptote at -1, so it should be pretty easy to mathematically prove that.
We're looking for the horizontal (or oblique) asymptote as [itex]x\to -\infty[/itex] and you don't need wolfram alpha to realize that [itex]x\neq -1[/itex]. Clearly the denominator under the square root cannot be equal to 0.

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches. It is a boundary for the curve and can be either horizontal, vertical, or oblique.

2. How do you calculate the asymptote of a function?

The asymptote of a function can be calculated by examining the behavior of the function as the input values approach infinity or negative infinity. In general, horizontal asymptotes can be identified by looking at the highest power of the variable in the function, while vertical asymptotes can be found by determining any values that make the denominator of the function equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that the function approaches as the input values become increasingly large or small. It can be thought of as a limit for the function. On the other hand, a vertical asymptote is a line that the function approaches as the input values approach a certain value, typically where the denominator of the function becomes zero. This results in a vertical line that the function cannot cross.

4. Can a function have multiple asymptotes?

Yes, a function can have multiple asymptotes. This can occur when the function has different limits as the input values approach different values, or when the function has multiple vertical asymptotes.

5. How can calculating asymptotes be useful in real-life applications?

Calculating asymptotes can be useful in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. It can help in predicting the behavior of a system or model as the input variables approach certain values, and can also aid in identifying any potential limitations or restrictions in a given situation.