1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating coefficient of kinetic friction

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Calculating coefficient of kinetic friction

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An applied force of 450 N {forward} is needed to drag a 1000-kg crate at constant speed across a horizontal, rough floor. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the crate on the floor.

Fapp=450 N {forward}
    m=1000 kg
    a=0
    g=9.81 m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=F(f(kinetic)) + F(app) + F(g)
    Fnet=ma
    Ffkinetic=-(mu)kFn
    Fg=-mg

3. The attempt at a solution

Fnet=-(mu)kFn + Fapp + Fg
    Since Fnet = ma
    ma=-(mu)kFn + Fapp + Fg
    0=-(mu)k1000 + 450 - 1000(9.81)
    (mu)k1000=-9360
    (mu)k=-9.36

The answer is supposed to be 4.59 x 10^-2, which makes a whole lot more sense than -9.36. I'm completely lost. The text only has one example and it's completely different from this question. tia!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are mixing x and y components!!! You must apply Newton's second law separately to the x and y components! So you have two equations :

[tex] \sum F_x = m a_x [/tex]

and

[tex] \sum F_y = m a_y [/tex]

Draw a FBD, identify the forces along x and along y, write down their x and y components (including the correct signs) and plug in the above equations.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    Thank you. I looked at the text again and retried writing my information making sure I was dealing with just the horizontal components (I was looking at the equations for slopes and combining the wrong things), using from the text this formula:

F(net_h) = F(app) + F(f_kinetic)

Since there is no acceleration Fnet is 0:

0 = F(app) + F(f_kinetic)
    F(f_kinetic) = -F(app)

Since F(f_kinetic) = -(mu)k_F(N)

-(mu)k_F(n) = -F(app)
    (mu)k = F(app)/F(N)

Since F(N) is mg:

(mu)k = 450/(1000*9.81)
    = 4.59 * 10^-2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?