Calculating Collision: How Long Until Two Continents Collide?

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, typical motion refers to the predictable movement of an object or system, while random motion is unpredictable. Common problems when studying typical motion include accounting for external forces and accurately measuring velocities and accelerations. Typical motion can be represented using graphs such as position-time, velocity-time, and acceleration-time graphs. Real-world examples of typical motion include pendulum swings, car motion, and planetary orbits.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

Typical motions of one plate relative to another are 1 centimeter per year. At this rate, how long would it take for two continents 3,000 km apart to collide?

Which formula would I use? Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 1 km = 100,000 cm

Physics news on Phys.org
time = distance / speed

t = 3,000 km / speed ?

Well I got 3 x 10 to the 8th. Not sure if I got this right...

CrossFit415 said:
Well I got 3 x 10 to the 8th. Not sure if I got this right...
correct that figure in years.

1. What is typical motion?

Typical motion refers to the movement of an object or system that follows a predictable pattern over time. This can include linear motion, circular motion, or any other type of motion that can be described by mathematical equations.

2. How is typical motion different from random motion?

Random motion is unpredictable and does not follow a specific pattern, while typical motion follows a predictable pattern. In random motion, the direction, speed, and acceleration of an object or system are constantly changing, making it difficult to accurately describe or predict its motion.

3. What are some common problems encountered when studying typical motion?

Some common problems encountered when studying typical motion include accounting for external forces, determining initial conditions, and accurately measuring or calculating velocities and accelerations. These problems can make it challenging to accurately describe or predict the motion of an object or system.

4. How can typical motion be represented using graphs?

Typical motion can be represented using position-time graphs, velocity-time graphs, or acceleration-time graphs. These graphs can visually show the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time, making it easier to analyze and understand the motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of typical motion?

Some real-world examples of typical motion include the motion of a pendulum, the motion of a car driving along a straight road, or the motion of a planet orbiting around the sun. These systems follow predictable patterns of motion that can be described using mathematical equations.