1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating constant velocity, deceleration, and total displacement

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object starts at rest and accelerates at 2.5 m/s^2 for 12 seconds. It then moves at a constant velocity for 5.0 seconds and then slows down uniformly at 1.5 m/s^2 until it stops. Calculate:
    a) the constant velocity
    b) the time taken for deceleration
    c) the total displacement

2. Relevant equations

"possibly"
    a=v/t or any of the five equations for uniform acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to do part c) but i need the first two answers which i'm not sure how to use.
    For a) i don't know which method to use: a=v/t or some kinematic equation, or which acceleration to use or which time (the 12 seconds while its accelerating, or the 5 seconds for constant velocity.
    For b) i don't know how to do either because it i based on part a)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    Hi pamelajanas !!
    Welcome to PF !!
    :)

Hints :
    Employ the first equation of 1-D (uniform acceleration) motion to solve for constant velocity, part (a). Also note that a = Δv/Δt and not v/t.
    Consequently you will know which kinematic equation to apply to solve for (b) and (c).

Get on it !! :smile:

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    okay so using the first equation for part a) I would have to rearrange it in order to find v2?
    meaning...
    v1 = 0 m/s (which makes sense)
    Δt= 12s or 5s (12s, which is the time for the acceleration or 5s, which is the time for the constant velocity)
    Δd= .. i am not even sure

and i DID mean the a=Δv/Δt, which i do or do not have to use?

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4
    i'm still not sure how to do this.. :(
    could you please look just above this, which are the reasons why i do not understand this

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    First equation of 1-D motion is :

v=u+at

You are to find v and you are given u and t. (The object starts from rest.)
    To reach the velocity v via acceleration you're given time as 12 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook