What is the velocity of a decelerating boat after 4.9 seconds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lenart Kovac

Homework Statement


A boat, moving at the velocity of 9,9m/s turns off its engine and starts decelerating at the rate of a=-kv^2. What is the velocity of the boat after 4,9 seconds if the constant k is k=5,5m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to integrate deceleration to get velocity, which got me the equation v= -k * t * v0^2, but that got me a really weird number and I'm sure I'm not doing something right, so I'm asking you for help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a separable differential equation. The way you need to integrate is like this: First, note that a = dv/dt, so we have dv/dt = -k*v2.
Rearrange so that you have this
$$dt = \frac {dv} {-k v^2},$$
Now you can integrate both sides. If you don't want to fool with integration constant, then you can integrate the right side (with velocity) from 9.9 m/s to vf and integrate the left side (time) from 0 seconds to 4.9 seconds. Then you can rearrange to solve for vf
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lenart Kovac
I made a revision, it seems I had my left side and right side switched around :eek: Also I used some LateX so it would look a little nicer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lenart Kovac