Calculating Critical Surface Edge Crack for Fatigue Life of Material

  • Thread starter Thread starter chiraganand
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fatigue Materials
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
chiraganand
Messages
111
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Compute the crtitical surface edge crack if the fatigue life = 8000000 cycles and maximum tensile stress is 21000 psi. m=3.5 and A= 0.00000000004 in ksi and in. units. Initial crack edge is 0.120 in. Y= 1.15

Homework Equations



The equation is given in the attached file and a0 is the initial crack length and af is final crack length


The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried substitutuing the values in the equation but on substitution and solving i am not getting the correct answer.
I think i am going wrong in the conversion of ksi to psi

Please help me out in this
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
can someone please help me out in this.. i am using the correct equation substituting correctly both still not able to get the answer..
 
The conversion from ksi to psi is simple: 1 ksi = 1000 psi.

Instead of showing only the raw formula, show your calculations. It may be some simple arithmetic mistake.
 
I have been doing it over and over but get the same answer... I want to know conceptually it is just substitution in the equation right?
 
I am attaching my substitutions in the formula. When I solve I end up getting a negative value for the crack length
 
Attachments
  • 1366825387115.jpg
    1366825387115.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 520
Desperately need a solution to the problem! please somebody help me.. i am substituting the values but still get a negative value!
 
Oh ok sorry for the poor resolution... basically what I have done is just substituted the values in the equation..
I have converted 21000 psi into 21 ksi as in the question it says that A = 4.1x10^-11 in ksi and in..
 
I have attached my solution attempt.. I have substituted and attempted the solutuion
 
Attachments
  • 1366891891221.jpg
    1366891891221.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 522
I'm not familiar with this equation, but I would check m, especially the term (-m/2+1) in the denominator. That is one reason you are getting a negative crack length. Can you provide a source for this equation?
 
The equation is from foundations of material science and engineering 5th edition. by William F Smith and Javad Hashemi... chapter 7
 
If anyone could please help me out in this. If anyone is familar with the Willaim smith book and knows how to solve the problem please let me know.