1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating current to produce magnetic field of Earth

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Suppose that the magnetic field of the Earth were due to a single current moving in a circle of radius 2988 km through the earth’s molten core. The strength of the Earth’s magnetic field on the surface near a magnetic pole is about 6.00E-5 T. About how large a current would be required to produce such a field?

I have to use the equation B=((mu_naught*i)/2)* (x^2/(x^2+R^2)^(3/2))
    and then for i get:
    i=(2*(x^2+R^2)^(3/2))/(mu_naught*R^2)

How do I get x?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is x is the distance from the center of the circle to the point where the magnetic field is measured? The center of the circle is at the center of the Earth, and the magnetic field is on the surface of the Earth. Your textbook probably has what that distance is, perhaps in the chapter that discusses gravitation and Keppler's laws.

p.s. are you sure the equations you wrote are correct? The last one you wrote,
    i=(2*(x^2+R^2)^(3/2))/(mu_naught*R^2)​
    does not include B, the magnetic field. It seems that B should be involved in the calculation somehow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook