Calculating Decay Rates of a Nucleus with 2 Channels

  • Thread starter Thread starter anizet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Nucleus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
anizet
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A nucleus decays into two channels with probabilities 0.62 and 0.38, respectively. Its lifeime is 20 hours. What are the decay rates into each of these channels?

Homework Equations


If there is only one channel of decay, the decay can be described by the formula:
N=N0*exp(-t/T)
where N is a number of nuclei which didn't decay after time t, N0 is the total number of nuclei and T is decay rate.

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure, if the following formula is correct:
N=N0*(0.62*exp(-t/T1)+0.38*exp(-t/T2)), where T1 and T2 are the variables I want to find.
If it's correct, then later should I write:
N=N0*exp(-t/T), where T is 20 hours?
But then I think I don't have enough information to solve it, as I have in fact one equation and two variables.
How to solve this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
so after 1 unit of time n0-n0/e nuclei decay. 0.62 of those are one channel. and 0.38 are the other

n0-n0/e = n0(1-1/e)
 
considering only one decay route:
after 20 hours you are left with what fraction of the total?its late. I've already taken my sleeping pill. you may have to finish this yourself.
 
I'm not sure its that simple. you need to determine the number that have decayed at anyone time due to one channel. that's easy. then differentiate to get the rate. then divide the rate by the number of nuclei left at that time.

does that sound right to you?