Calculating Diffraction Grating Spacing for Red Light | Homework Help

• Thread starter Hannahj1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula sin θm = mλ/d to determine the spacing of lines on a diffraction grating. The first problem involves finding the spacing for a third-order maximum at an angle of 22 degrees for red light with a wavelength of 694.3 nm. The second problem involves finding the highest spectral order visible for a diffraction grating with a line spacing of 6200 lines/cm when illuminated with 633-nm laser light. The correct answer for the first problem may be a 4th-order maximum instead of a 3rd-order maximum. In the second problem, there are constraints on theta that need to be considered when setting up the inequality.
Hannahj1

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating produces a third-order maximum, at an angle of 22 degrees, for red light (694.3 nm). Determine the spacing of the lines.

Homework Equations

for maxima:

sin θm = mλ/d

where m is the order of the maxima, λ is the wavelength in nm, and d is the spacing of the lines

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 694.3 nm
θ = 22
m = 3

d = mλ / sin θ
d = 3 (694.3) / sin 22
d = 5560 nm

but the answer in the textbook is 7400 nm. what have i done wrong?

and this one:

Calculate the highest spectral order visible when a 6200-line/cm grating is illuminated with 633-nm laser light.

d = 1/6200 cm
λ = 633 nm = 6.33 x 10^9 cm
n = ?

how do i find n without θ? I'm probably missing some obvious things

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannahj1 said:

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating produces a third-order maximum, at an angle of 22 degrees, for red light (694.3 nm). Determine the spacing of the lines.

Homework Equations

for maxima:

sin θm = mλ/d

where m is the order of the maxima, λ is the wavelength in nm, and d is the spacing of the lines

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 694.3 nm
θ = 22
m = 3

d = mλ / sin θ
d = 3 (694.3) / sin 22
d = 5560 nm

but the answer in the textbook is 7400 nm. what have i done wrong?

and this one:

Calculate the highest spectral order visible when a 6200-line/cm grating is illuminated with 633-nm laser light.

d = 1/6200 cm
λ = 633 nm = 6.33 x 10^9 cm
n = ?

how do i find n without θ? I'm probably missing some obvious things
Are you sure they didn't mean 4th-order maximum?

I'll look at the second question in a few.

Student100 said:
Are you sure they didn't mean 4th-order maximum?

I'll look at the second question in a few.

You're setting up an inequality for the second problem, what are the constraints on theta?

1. How do I calculate the diffraction grating spacing for red light?

To calculate the diffraction grating spacing for red light, you will need to use the equation: d = mλ / sinθ, where d is the grating spacing, m is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the light (in this case, red light), and θ is the angle of diffraction. Make sure to convert all units to the same system (e.g. meters or nanometers) before plugging them into the equation.

2. What is the order of diffraction?

The order of diffraction refers to the number of times the light has been diffracted by the grating. For example, if the light goes through the grating and is diffracted once, it is considered first-order diffraction. If it goes through and is diffracted twice, it is considered second-order diffraction, and so on.

3. How does the wavelength of light affect the diffraction grating spacing?

The wavelength of light has a direct impact on the diffraction grating spacing. The equation for calculating the grating spacing (d = mλ / sinθ) shows that as the wavelength increases, the grating spacing also increases. This means that for red light, which has a longer wavelength than blue light, the diffraction grating spacing will be larger.

4. What is the significance of the angle of diffraction in calculating the grating spacing?

The angle of diffraction is a crucial factor in calculating the diffraction grating spacing. This angle determines how much the light is bent or spread out as it passes through the grating. A larger angle of diffraction results in a larger grating spacing, while a smaller angle of diffraction results in a smaller grating spacing.

5. Can I use the same equation to calculate the diffraction grating spacing for different colors of light?

Yes, you can use the same equation (d = mλ / sinθ) to calculate the diffraction grating spacing for different colors of light. Just make sure to use the correct wavelength for the specific color you are calculating for. Also, keep in mind that different colors of light have different wavelengths, so the resulting grating spacing may be different for each color.